VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Independfent Living Program

Rate this question

Pete53

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

After over 3 years and going on four I will once again meet with my Voc Rehab Counselor for the fifth time to review Independent Living Program. However this time we have a document from someone they hired that recommends that ILP provide me with a Temperpedic Bed and a HVAC System. By email my counselor promised to get what was on the list that I did not get via HISA Grant. Construction on my new walk in shower started Saturday and is supposed to finish tomorrow. I am very happy with it and to my dismay you can get a very nice bathroom for 5600 using a VA recommended contractor.

I intend to listen more than talk. She has the recommendation by the hired consultant. The only downside is maybe trying to go cheap as they can but how can you miss with new a/c and temperpedic bed.

My son is going to take me as our hot weather 65 days over 100 have sapped me and I need to be sure I don't crash and get stuck at VA.

This should not be so dern hard.

• HadIt.com Elder

Most vets probably just give up after 6 months of wrangling with these people. They know this and all at VA are afraid to stick their necks out one inch for a vet.

• HadIt.com Elder

The meeting was mixed. The dear lady was please to check off everyting HISA had done that was on the list. However, the A/C is out as she needs higher approval and wants me to directly link it to my service connection. I will ask my VA shrink if he can help next time I see him. Ergo bad summer lots of heat one hospitalization probably heat related and 15 year old HVAC System that needs replacement.

They are writing up papers to get a temperpedic bed which may be more than I thought I would get. I am at a loss how I am service connected for that but not for A/C but she has not seen me when I go in for an attack.

So plan B wait for award for bed and than ask them to justify why I could get bed but not a/c?

We shall see.

Now my real point I have often seen it posted on Hadit that once I am 100% why ask for anything else and the answer is...You don't know till you need it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I asked ILP for a guitar and they wanted me to link that to my SC condition. What the heck? They wanted my shrink to write a thesis about why it would benefit me. The Voc Rehab guy was a guy was a total spastic. However, he wants me to prove all this crap to get a $100 guitar and some lessons. I sure hope you get your A/C and bed. Obama was just telling us he wants the nation to do everything possible to help us poor pathetic vets.

I will agree that they are a huge pain in the ass. I kept digging and digging. I sent letters to the VR&E Director, Ruth Fanning, letters to the VR&E Director, I kept copying parts of the ILP adminstration instructions and sending it to them, I mean it was a lot of work. But here are some of the things I received since March of this year.

Fishing gear. $400.00 Max. It is for recreational purposes that will allow me to get out of the house, meet people and become part of the community as where I live fishing is part of the community.

New Bed $900.00 for the mattress (didn't need a box spring) and $200 memory foam topper

Zero gravity chair, ergonomic for relief of arthritis in the spine and knees, also helps with circulation.

Juicer & Food processor

Convection Oven and small grill

4 Wii games

Kindle

New Canon EOS Camera and associated equipment

ADT Alarm system with medical alert pendant and 2 years monitoring

A lot of lightweight housecleaning items (swiffer mop swiffer duster)

HP Notebook Laptop with wireless printer

Cell phone with 12 months of service.

There are a couple of smaller items too that I forget right now. When I first walked into the VR&E office almost 2 years ago they said there was no such program as ILP. After the 3rd person in line I was told they would not buy anything and disapproved a pretty extensive list I had. It took about 18 months to get anything but once it started I kept coming up with real problems and real obstacles I was facing on a daily basis and why I needed the items I requested. After the alarm system was finally done I look back and I am very surprised I was able to receive so many products and services, especially from where I started. The counselor really went from Mr. No, to "why do you think this product is necessary for you to have"? and when I explained he would either approve or disapprove, approve mostly. There are some things I did not get, but overall I am pretty satisfied with the progress we made.

Good luck to you all. If I can be of any help, please ask.

• HadIt.com Elder

I signed VA Form 28-8872 Rehabilitation Plan recommending a temporpedic adjustable bed king size and for a new HVAC this morning. One more approval and they will start.

Looks good they have help back on many projects and want to spend some of the money already budgeted.

Many here could benefit from ILP Program with Voc Rehab

I know it's not a big deal , to some . I went to my VAMC the other day for mental appt . Casually mentioned to the scheduling lady, who do i talk to about getting another sleeping wedge . She said independant living .

Went there and they got a consult from one of the nurses on duty , had my new wedge in about 45 minutes .I said how often can i get one ( had my other one for 2 years ) she said whenever you want .

I thought it was gonna be a fight .

Sgt Sandman