• donate-be-a-hero.png

...been Answered!

Rate this topic

Gmaan23

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting the fiduciary thing resolved when I get the letter sometime soon. But my parents are my payees with ssa and hopefully that means they can be with the VA as well. Just crossing my fingers that it will all go well

Congrats . . . . . .BUT

I have the same questions as Berta and other's.

How are you getting SSA benefits if you are working ?

If this is true - it will bite you in the behind.

Also, why would you possibly need to pay for school ?

In regards to,

"70 percent is what I am going to be getting for compensation for the rest of my life."

You have no guarantee on this - certainly not until you have held a specific

rating percentage for 20 years.

Just to make a long story short... I was on ssa long before and while I was on ssa I chose to work and they gave me a two for one. For every two dollars I made they took one dollar from sdi/ssi. I worked retail while doing this so it was under the 1600 dollar gross mark. And while I was working before I still received medical and Medicare so I can receive medications as well as see a psychiatrist under my medical insurance. Now that I am 70 percent service connected, I do eventually want to just be coverred by VA for all my medical issues. I am currently working now under the understanding that I do not exceed that 1600 dollar mark take home from my current job. Right now working is not for the money. It in actuality is for keeping myself busy until my school starts in January. I did my research and homework on working while under ssi/sdi for example bugging my social worker and my psychiatrist with bucket loads of questions regarding work. They actually encouraged me to work so that I can keep myself busy other than school because school is great but the self gratification from working just keeps me going and fills myself as a man with joy of talking about and being a positive person to people that are my peers that are just on ssi/sdi. I just take what I am receiving from the government as a blessing and I give my thanks everyday. I look at it this way. I served my country now it's time for me to serve my fellow Americans that have given thanks to me. Thank u everybody from hadit... You're words of wisdom are very encouraging to me. Thank you

Just to make a long story short... I was on ssa long before and while I was on ssa I chose to work and they gave me a two for one. For every two dollars I made they took one dollar from sdi/ssi. I worked retail while doing this so it was under the 1600 dollar gross mark. And while I was working before I still received medical and Medicare so I can receive medications as well as see a psychiatrist under my medical insurance. Now that I am 70 percent service connected, I do eventually want to just be coverred by VA for all my medical issues. I am currently working now under the understanding that I do not exceed that 1600 dollar mark take home from my current job. Right now working is not for the money. It in actuality is for keeping myself busy until my school starts in January. I did my research and homework on working while under ssi/sdi for example bugging my social worker and my psychiatrist with bucket loads of questions regarding work. They actually encouraged me to work so that I can keep myself busy other than school because school is great but the self gratification from working just keeps me going and fills myself as a man with joy of talking about and being a positive person to people that are my peers that are just on ssi/sdi. I just take what I am receiving from the government as a blessing and I give my thanks everyday. I look at it this way. I served my country now it's time for me to serve my fellow Americans that have given thanks to me. Thank u everybody from hadit... You're words of wisdom are very encouraging to me. Thank you

Gmann23,

I edited your profile to show 70 percent service connection.

The ticket to work program is designed to help get you off of SSA benefits.

If you can work that's great - but sooner or later those SSA (SSI/SSDI) benefits will stop.

SSA currently considers SGA (Substantial Gainful Activity) at one thousand dollars a month - and you already earn more than that.

Have fun and enjoy both - while you can because - it will be over.

JMHO

• HadIt.com Elder

Why not TDIU and use vocational rehab via the VA to educate yourself. Then when you have the right education you can try working. You can get your SSDI and TDIU and get yourself together until you can get a good professional type job. The VA will pay for it since they want you off TDIU. I was really disabled and it took me twice as long to get through school. If I had had TDIU or 100% and SSD I would have had a much easier life. Both SSA and VA should want a claimant to become a taxpayer instead of a tax eater especially if you are just 24. They should bend over backwards to help you since many never work again if they are on SSD and TDIU.

Thanks for a all the help out there because god knows I need it. I will check into that more and since I am working and I want to have school as priority number one... I already requested the application for dep. Of voc. Rehab as of Monday... I'll see how everything goes from here and I think it's going to be alright

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use