Jump to content
  • Latest Donations

  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Available Subscriptions

  • 0
Sergeant G

Can I Start Voc. Rehab. In Ilp And Then Move To Ojt Track?



I am receiving IU for bipolar disorder. I would like to know your thoughts about starting VR in the Independent Living Program (ILP) for six months and then switching to the On-the-job training (OJT) track. Here's the deal: I am an attorney who became licensed in 2002. I only worked as an attorney from 2003-2004 and have been out of the legal profession since then. I switched careers several times (because of my illness) until I stopped working and was awarded IU in 2009. Because I have not been active in my profession for a number of years, I am currently unemployable as an attorney (and unemployable in general). I haven't applied for VR yet, but have been trying to come up with a plan to propose for when I do. Before I can work as an attorney, I believe I will need to take at least six months to read up on the law. That's when I envision being in ILP. I am hoping the VA will purchase several law books for me (they are extremely expensive) as well as send me to a few Continuing Legal Education seminars. After that, I wanted to switch to the OJT track. From what I read on the VRE website, the OJT program is available only if the veteran works in a government position (federal, state, or local). I would like to work as a prosecutor in the District Attorney's office. Also, from what I understand, the VR program is generally a maximum of 48 months. How does VR determine when you are "rehabilitated?" I would like to take advantage of all four years in VR, but I'm not sure how much experience I need as a prosecutor to be formally hired if it's possible.

Thanks for input.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

Is your IU rating Permanent and total?

I am assuming that you already have A Bachelor's degree and completion of a three year program as juris doctor-

and wonder what a Voc Rehab counselor could really recommend

"Before I can work as an attorney, I believe I will need to take at least six months to read up on the law. That's when I envision being in ILP. I am hoping the VA will purchase several law books for me (they are extreme...."

Are you a member of the Bar now?

Once you apply for Voc Rehab the counselor will fill you in as to whether Voc Rehab s feasible for you or whether your SC disabilities could prevent rehabilitation.

One thing is for sure- prosecutors have VERY stressful jobs.

I commend you for wanting to return to the legal arena but am not sure how VA would handle your Voc Rehab application or if it would in fact be the best for thing for you to consider.

The ILS program can be searched for here at hait under independent living services.It isn't the same thing as Voc Rehab.

Please don't misunderstand what I am saying---Lewis Puller (Chesty's son USMC ) with PTSD and catastrophic physical disabilities from Vietnam worked as an attorney for the VA Central office in DC after the war. I dont know what his VA rating was or if he even had one but obviously it could have been 100% with SMC.

It took quite a toll on him-= and the results were horrible.

DO you get SSDI? If not you can apply on the Social Security Web site on line and your VA rating will help with that claim.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


I think the VA would try and help you transition to something in legal field so they don't have to re-educate a guy with a law degree. They want to get you into work as fast as they can so they can save money. Are you permanent and total? What they want to know is if it is feasible to spend money to rehabilitate you. They might ask "He was a lawyer before and he crashed and burned. If we spend more money on him to get him back to lawyering what is there to stop him from crashing and burning again"? I am playing devil's advocate. I think you are rehabilitated when you get a job and are off of TDIU. Do you get SSD as well? Most guys on IU never go back to work so they might be very happy to help you back to work if they think you are well enough. Maybe you could work as some kind of lawyer in the VA. That would be your best shot probably.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the regs state you can work up to a year before losing your TDIU.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Berta,

Thanks for responding. I believe my rating is permanent and total. My rating decision says that no future exams have been scheduled, so I assume this means I am P&T. And yes, I do receive SSDI for the S/C bipolar as well.

I have a B.A. degree and J.D. as well. I am a member of the Massachusetts bar. My license is currently in "retired" status; however, I can revert to "active" status at any time. I know that being a prosecutor is stressful, but criminal law is the legal specialty I find most appealing (followed by VA and Social Security law). I do worry about too much stress aggravating my bipolar disorder; however my VA therapist has been on my case to start VR and go back to work. That's a whole other post.

Thanks again!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that Voc Rehab will work with you if you have a plan and it sure looks like you do.

Good Luck

Try to keep as much stress out of this as you can.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • SHOW YOUR SUPPORT: Ad Free Subscriptions to the Forum available
      Ad free subscriptions are available for the forum. Subscriptions give you the forums ad free and help support the forum and site. Monthly $5 Annually $50 https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/

      Every bit helps - Thank you.

      • 0 replies
    • Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask
      Choosing a VA Disability Attorney Means Learning What Questions to Ask. Chris Attig - Veterans Law Blog 

      <br style="color:#000000; text-align:start">How to Hire an Attorney For Your VA Claim or Appeal Free Guidebook available on the Veterans Law Blog

      I got an email the other day from a Veteran.  It had 2 or 3 sentences about his claim, and then closed at the end: “Please call me. So-and-so told me you were the best and I want your help.”

      While I appreciate the compliments, I shudder a little at emails like this.  For 2 reasons.

      First, I get a lot of emails like this.  And while I diligently represent my clients – I often tell them we will pursue their claim until we have no more appeals or until we win – I am most assuredly not the best.

      There are a LOT of damn good VA Disability attorneys out there.  (Most, if not all, of the best are members of the National Organization of Veterans Advocates…read about one of them, here)

      Second, I don’t want Veterans to choose their attorney based on who their friend thought was the best.  I want Veterans to choose the VA Disability attorney who is BEST for their case.

      In some situations, that may be the Attig Law Firm.

      But it may also be be Hill and Ponton, or Chisholm-Kilpatrick, or Bergman Moore.  Or any one of the dozens of other attorneys who have made the representation of Veterans their professional life’s work.

      There are hundreds of attorneys that are out there representing Veterans, and I’m here to tell you that who is best for your friend’s case may not be the best for your case.

      How do you Find the Best VA Disability Attorney for your Claim?

      First, you have to answer the question: do you NEED an attorney?

      Some of you don’t...
      • 1 reply
    • VA Emergency Medical Care
      VA Emergency Medical Care
      • 3 replies
    • Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      Veterans Appeals Improvement and Modernization Act
      • 0 replies
    • Thanks Berta for your help. I did receive my 100% today for my IU claim on 6/20/2018. It only took 64 days to complete and it is p&t. Thanks for your words of wisdom. 

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines