Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental Implants

Rate this question

drichva

Question

I am a 100% veteran who had dental work done when I returned from Viet Nam and after discharge. I was provided with crowns and bridges by a private dentist over 30 years ago. The work now has deteriorated to a point in which I need new teeth. I am under the understanding that VA will try to get me to settle for Dentures. I read somewhere however if I push them hard enough I may be approved for implants. I will be going to the clinic in San Antonio TX. Does anyone know of the implants being approved?

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think it depends on the clinic. My dental clinic would not do implants for me. They even refused to do a crown on a big filling. I don't go there anymore. I believe that they are more concerned with cost than my dental health.

I was told that the VA won't do implants=period. They did 6 crowns for me on the last of my bottom teeth, but no implants-dentures only.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

You need to have good bone density for implants: if you have significant bone loss, they will need to "create" new bone before fitting the prosthetic.

Here's a current VA Handbook (see #15). http://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1817

Most of the larger VA med facilities have their own in-house dental lab; otherwise, they use the central labs. You need to find a VA Facility that does the work --and be willing to travel if necessary. Good Luck - ~Wings

I am a 100% veteran who had dental work done when I returned from Viet Nam and after discharge. I was provided with crowns and bridges by a private dentist over 30 years ago. The work now has deteriorated to a point in which I need new teeth. I am under the understanding that VA will try to get me to settle for Dentures. I read somewhere however if I push them hard enough I may be approved for implants. I will be going to the clinic in San Antonio TX. Does anyone know of the implants being approved?

OMG.... You are in for the ride of your life..... I am treated by the acting Chief of San Antonio Clinic Dr. Girvan. I started getting treatment in Aug 2010 right after I lost my teeth due to dry month complications from sc lung medications. From the beginning I complained that I could not eat with the dentures they provided. So for almost a year once a month I would go to the clinic, sit in the chair and the doctor would go through the motions of getting me new denures all the time talking about implants. Well after all that time they made me new dentures but the bottom was a different color than the top... so naturally the Dr was pissed, but what could he do. So he told me that a new surgen was now working at San Antonio clinic, and that he would push to get me in and get inplants so that my lower denture would stay in place. This did two things, it got him off the hook for my new dentures, and it passed me off to another doctor.In the meantime it has been 13 months since I have had any solid food, I'm talking about steaks, pizza, salads, fruit, etc anything hard forget it I cannot eat because the lower denture moves and cuts my gum...So his assistant told me to call once a week and remind her that I am waiting for treatment, now she doesn't even return my calls. If your look for actual dental inplants to hold dentures or seperate teeth get in line, because you have one hell of a wait.

The VA in Boston ma, is starting implants for me in November. The Dentist actually wanted to give me a couple more up top but I didn't have enough bone. However, he hooked me up with a real nice metal upper partial. I have been going there since March. So far so good.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Dallas VAMC has a Central Dental Lab.

VA North Texas Health Care System: Dallas VA Medical Center

4500 South Lancaster Road

Dallas, TX 75216

Phone: 214-742-8387 Or 800-849-3597

Check out the "mini implant" option http://www.doctorspiller.com/mini_implant_retained_dentures.htm