64 Years Old

Rate this question

BUZZ

Question

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ok all this talk about SSDI has me thinking. I am 63, be 64 coming June,I am 50% on my hearing, and retired. I read where some was saying it is easier with age, So do any of you think I have a chance of getting approved?

I think it is definately easier when you are a little older, like me. Don't tell them you are retired....aren't you disabled? Although you are available to draw SS at 64 with early penalties, SSDI pays you a couple hundred more per month. Look at your SS paperwork that they send you every once in a while and look at the bottom where it tells you how much you will receive on SSDI. The amount you would get now from SSDI will take into account the actual amount you would receive when you qualify for your full SS retirement. In other words, the amount will not change when you reach full SS age. I am 99% sure of this because I am rapidly approaching 66 myself. I did check their website and also called them and they assured me that my amount I now receive will not change.

If I was you, I'm only saying, I would definately apply for SSDI. The main criteria with SS is are you able to do any kind of work for gainful employment?

Good luck...Brian

I just applied in september 1, I'm hoping to receive notice soon. Would be a nice gift for me and my wife. How much time does it usuallly take!I turn 60 in june

Normally, there is a 6 month waiting period to get accepted. But they will pay you retroactrive from the time you applied. I was approved my first time I applied back in 06 and received a nice check for over $10,000. Not sure how long the time period is now, with the way the economy is and the number of people applying for SSDI.

You can call them and ask them...if you can get through. Keep trying and you will eventually get someone on the phone. Or you can check their website for more info.

Brian

Also, once you qualify for SSDI, you have to wait 6 months and then you will get Medicare, regardless of your age. Here in Calif you can get Medicare or if you are very low income, you may qualify for Medi Cal. I can't remember what its called in most states. In Calif the Medi Cal program is being slashed left and right, so not sure how that will work in the future.

As long as they don't touch Medicare we should be alright.

• HadIt.com Elder

Depending on a lot of variables, with SSDI dated 03, It's possible that you can (and likely should) appeal the VA's EDD. (as CUE if the appeal year is up)

This is assuming that the SSDI is for the same conditions, or even part of them that are now SC'd by the VA. Seven or so years at 100% is a fair amount of change!

Not to mention any co-pay that may have been charged)

If the VA totally ignored the SSDI determination, it might reach CUE level. (Lawyer time?) SSDI can also be awarded retroactively (with a time limit).

I applied for SSA & SSDI when I turned 62. The medical records showed that I had last worked when I was 60. When all was said and done, SSDI was awarded retroactively at the end of the year that I turned 60.

In between SSA paid the 62 level pension, then paid me the retro and difference. (About $500 a month difference between the age 62 pension and the full age retirement amount, plus the full retro amount for the additional time.)

Supposedly, SSA is easier to deal with if they have to pay, one way or another.

I got SSDI in 03 after a few weeks post exam. Was 53 then. However VA was another story. Took 7+ years and many NOD's, C&P exams, Proved I was not deceased, Proof of not to sever claims. and finally got 100% PT No Future Exams. It was a constant fight but I was determined to NEVER GIVE up and had help in the later years here and Jim Strickland over the last few years. Effective 09 but decision 10. Never went back to original date of claim 03 and 04...

Edited by Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay, I'll try to clarify some things. The difference between SSDI and SS retirement at age 62 is about 29% higher, not a dollar amount. The rate you get at 62, for SSDI, is the same rate as if you waited until 65 or 66(now) to retire. Some people get $2k SSDI and some get $800, depending on how much you earned and paid in over your lifetime. I believe they use the most current 10 yrs and take the highest 5 yrs to establish your rate. You can apply for SSDI even if you are already collecting SS retirement. As Chuck stated they will pay the difference, if awarded SSDI.

SSDI has a 5 month waiting period, where they don't pay anything. Those five months will be deducted from your established eligibility date of disability. It is extremely important that you use the day after the last day you worked as your date of disability onset, when applying for SSDI, especially if you haven't worked in a couple of yrs or longer, because SSDI may deny you based on lack of current "qualifying" quarters. Anyone needing to see their SS file can request an in-person viewing, with their local SS office. They will set it up and generally don't charge for the copying "you" do. They will set you up w/a desk, where they can keep you in view to make sure you don't add/delete/alter evidence.

You cannot receive Medicare until you've been on SSDI for 2 yrs, or until you turn 65yo(66yo now), whichever comes first.

pr

Okay, I'll try to clarify some things. The difference between SSDI and SS retirement at age 62 is about 29% higher, not a dollar amount. The rate you get at 62, for SSDI, is the same rate as if you waited until 65 or 66(now) to retire. Some people get $2k SSDI and some get $800, depending on how much you earned and paid in over your lifetime. I believe they use the most current 10 yrs and take the highest 5 yrs to establish your rate. You can apply for SSDI even if you are already collecting SS retirement. As Chuck stated they will pay the difference, if awarded SSDI.

SSDI has a 5 month waiting period, where they don't pay anything. Those five months will be deducted from your established eligibility date of disability. It is extremely important that you use the day after the last day you worked as your date of disability onset, when applying for SSDI, especially if you haven't worked in a couple of yrs or longer, because SSDI may deny you based on lack of current "qualifying" quarters. Anyone needing to see their SS file can request an in-person viewing, with their local SS office. They will set it up and generally don't charge for the copying "you" do. They will set you up w/a desk, where they can keep you in view to make sure you don't add/delete/alter evidence.

You cannot receive Medicare until you've been on SSDI for 2 yrs, or until you turn 65yo(66yo now), whichever comes first.

pr

Philip, Thank you for correcting my mistake. I waited 2 years before I received Medicare.

Brian

"you have to wait 6 months and then you will get Medicare, regardless of your age"