Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Understanding P&t

Rate this question

SP4RVN1971

Question

I Received 100% service connected disability dated back to march 2010. It was 100% for PC, 100% for Lymph node cancer, 20% DMII, 20% PN both sides, 10% Ihd. Since then my condition's have continue to get worst. In May 2011 i filed with VA for P&T and many other problem's!. At the time i was still working but missing a lot of work. In August 2011 i went on short term disability and filed for SSD. My question is do i qualify for P&T? How long does it usually take for them to get back to you and is there any thing to speed it up? because i know they work so fast. On SSD I fled September 1st and how long before i see help from them

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you 55 yo or older? When are you scheduled for a re-examination? What help are you looking for? The only change I see would be Chap 35 & ChampVA. From what you've posted, I assume you're receiving 100% + SMC. I don't see any more money.

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

First, why do want the label "P&T"? Is it for Chap 35/DEA benefits, or do you not want any future examinations?

In any event, while you are in treatment for the cancers, I believe it would be unlikely that you would be considered "P&T" as the goal of treatment is to make you 'better'. For permanancy, I'd think that you'd need statement(s) from your urologist and oncologist that the cancer(s) are refractory to treatment.

As for the VA time period ... months, likely many more months .... As for speeding up the process, you'd need letters(s) from your urologist/oncologist/internist/whatever, stating that you are terminal and have only (fill in some very limited time here) left. However, as the P&T label will not result in anymore monetary benefits to you at this moment, I don't believe that much would be done to speed up your process.

WRT Social Security ... in many cases, what makes you totally disabled for the VA also makes you totally disabled for SSA purposes. Social Security is a strange beast though. Although the VA considers you 100% disabled for prostate cancer and also 100% disabled for lymph node cancer, these may not necessarily qualify you for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. It depends on how these - and your other disabilities - affect your ability to work. In fact, you might find that your other disabilities might be more qualifying for SSDI that the cancers. Note: the above is general information, and may or may not apply to your specific situation.

Timewise for SSDI? If you have good medical records and documentation how your disabilities affect your ability to work, I'd say you should hear something in 8 months or so.

I Received 100% service connected disability dated back to march 2010. It was 100% for PC, 100% for Lymph node cancer, 20% DMII, 20% PN both sides, 10% Ihd. Since then my condition's have continue to get worst. In May 2011 i filed with VA for P&T and many other problem's!. At the time i was still working but missing a lot of work. In August 2011 i went on short term disability and filed for SSD. My question is do i qualify for P&T? How long does it usually take for them to get back to you and is there any thing to speed it up? because i know they work so fast. On SSD I fled September 1st and how long before i see help from them

Are you 55 yo or older? When are you scheduled for a re-examination? What help are you looking for? The only change I see would be Chap 35 & ChampVA. From what you've posted, I assume you're receiving 100% + SMC. I don't see any more money.

pr

Yes, 60 year's old. Waiting on VA. Looking for a shoulder to lean on or help to get P&T! You assume right 100% + SMC. P&T would get the right for my wife to CHAMPVA. Its not the money!

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd just send a letter, on the "Statement in Support of Claim" form(don't remember the number), to the VA, requesting ChampVA & Chap 35, stating that you are older than 55 yrs and should be considered P&T, according to 38 USC & 38 CFR. jmo

pr

First, why do want the label "P&T"? Is it for Chap 35/DEA benefits, or do you not want any future examinations?

In any event, while you are in treatment for the cancers, I believe it would be unlikely that you would be considered "P&T" as the goal of treatment is to make you 'better'. For permanancy, I'd think that you'd need statement(s) from your urologist and oncologist that the cancer(s) are refractory to treatment.

As for the VA time period ... months, likely many more months .... As for speeding up the process, you'd need letters(s) from your urologist/oncologist/internist/whatever, stating that you are terminal and have only (fill in some very limited time here) left. However, as the P&T label will not result in anymore monetary benefits to you at this moment, I don't believe that much would be done to speed up your process.

WRT Social Security ... in many cases, what makes you totally disabled for the VA also makes you totally disabled for SSA purposes. Social Security is a strange beast though. Although the VA considers you 100% disabled for prostate cancer and also 100% disabled for lymph node cancer, these may not necessarily qualify you for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. It depends on how these - and your other disabilities - affect your ability to work. In fact, you might find that your other disabilities might be more qualifying for SSDI that the cancers. Note: the above is general information, and may or may not apply to your specific situation.

Timewise for SSDI? If you have good medical records and documentation how your disabilities affect your ability to work, I'd say you should hear something in 8 months or so.

First the P&T was avenue to help my wife to have insurance thru CHAMPVA. Cobra is not cheap. The the cancer is not going away per MD Anderson cancer center Doctor's! I sent all the information to VA on the cancer from my Urologist/ Oncologist. In December, I start test of a new drug which is every two weeks down in Houston.

On SSD, thank you, I might try to use my other disabilities to help get SSD. Have a good thankgiving!:rolleyes:

I'd just send a letter, on the "Statement in Support of Claim" form(don't remember the number), to the VA, requesting ChampVA & Chap 35, stating that you are older than 55 yrs and should be considered P&T, according to 38 USC & 38 CFR. jmo

pr

Thank you Philip! Have a great Turkey day!