VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Has Anyone Sold Their Va Disability Pension?

bigoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Are you considering survivor benefits in your calculations? I have been investing for about 30 years. Markets get busted every few years. Stocks,bonds, gold, housing they all get whacked at least once a decade. The government check has never gotten busted out yet, and if it does all you other assests won't be worth much anyway. During the Great Depression one of the first things FDR did was to make it illegal to use gold as currency. Your crummy VA check has a COLA so even if the money is debased by inflation you will get your increase. Don't spit on the old VA check. Nobody knows what economic conditions will be like in five years much less 20-30 years.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respect the opinions on here, I am however not interested in the moral hazard of such a decision.

Keep in mind that VA Pension is one issue and

VA Disability Compensation is a totally different issue.

The answers I have replied with address the legal aspects, that's why I posted a Cease and Desist Order

from a California Court.

Here's a little something else I was easily able to dig up.

2011 OCT 10

"Can I sell my disability payments? For private disability payments, yes most of the time but you can not sell Social Security Disability payments.

Can I sell my VA disability? Unfortunately, not currently unless the law changes. If you are looking to sell VA disability payments, I would suggest you bookmark this site and check back inn 90 days. I’ve heard a rumor that this law may be changing.

Can I sell my Military pension payments for a lump sum? Yes, in most cases."

http://www.us-funding-solutions.com/structured-settlement-sell/?p=83

I appreciate the replies. I think the conflicting information I have found is what brought me to ask here. The law seems to be changing on this issue over the past few years and swings back and forth. I understand the hesitation to support a move like this. This probably will allow many veterans to get themselves into a lot of financial trouble. The human action of having a large sum of money dumped into your bank account is sometimes if not often not a beneficial one to the account holder. Similar to a delayed claim decision with a large sum of back pay.

As far as investing. I have looked at my overall financial situation and looked at the worst that could come of entering into this agreement. I would still be able to support myself and that is why I am considering this move.

As for markets getting busted every few years you are partially correct. I would disagree with one example you used which is gold. The price fluctuation with gold has only been short term. The long term trend of gold has increased in relation to the declining value of the US dollar, the fiat currency of the VA check. If you bought gold today at just under 1700 an once and it dropped another 500 the next day I would say you would still be in very good shape. It will come back and always has. 5000 years of history does not lie. If you do not believe me check out the amount of gold in ounces that it takes to buy a barrel of oil over last 100 years. If you do not want to look I will save you the effort. It is generally the same with a few spikes but average over the long term is the same amount. This means that inflation(how much the things you buy increase in price each year) is only a normal economic activity of paper money not precious metals.

I think I went just a tad bit off topic. Sorry

• HadIt.com Elder

Big

What I was trying to say was that in the words of one of the great robber barons of the 19th and early 20th centurny "Financial markets tend to fluctuate". We are all in a bind because if you leave you money where it is safe you get little interest. If you chase yields then you take on risk. I am too old for too much risk, but I always bought stock.

• HadIt.com Elder

Bigoc,

Not trying to jack the tread, But I am glad to see your post.

For those trying to keep with inflation Precious Metals, Gold and Silver will do exactly that. Things are really messed up around the world right now, all countries are broke, this country just reached the 100% mark on GDP to debt. We have 15 Trillion on the books and 50-60 Trillion that is in the shadows.

What all this means, we can NEVER repay this money. Big Ben an company is trying to inflate it away by keeping interest rates at 0%.......If rates go north the presses get fired up for QE3 to infinity and hyperinflation will occur at some point as the government can not pay even a modest increase due to the interest on the debt.

Government and Central banks around the Globe are buying Gold by the tonnes, the know what is coming in the future. We hold the World Reserve currency, giving us the ability to control most economic aspects of goods bought and sold, soon this may end due to the inability to control the debt and in its place the will be fiat money backed by gold and silver once again.

When Nixon took us off the gold standard the dollar became nothing more than pocket cotton, we have lost 97% value since that day and that decline continues at a faster pace today. We are at a very high risk of a Global economic meltdown.

I could go on and on about how we got here and where we are going some would get scared some would dismiss it, just understand I am no economic major, I just see the writing on the wall and it's everywhere.

I just hope that those of you who can.......HOLD in your possession some gold and silver coins for nothing else other than insurance as we all get our dollars from the same entity.....The more you hold the better, but at least get something in-case this thing breaks......In VA terms "the chances are more likely than not".

Edited by JR Reihs

• HadIt.com Elder

While you hold gold or silver it makes no interest and then you must have a ultra safe place to keep it which is another expense. Maybe I should fill up a safe deposit box with gold but I am not quite ready for that. If there is hyperinflation the government here would do "anything" to stop it in its tracks. If they had to raise interest rates to 50% they would do it. If they had to occupy S.Arabia they would do that.