VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Increase

Rate this question

billy2

Question

Last month I received an increase from 50 to 70% for PTSD. I have been going to the Vet Center for over two years. I only go once a month and I can't stand going there. Just before I got my increase for PTSD I told my VSO at the DAV that I wanted to pack it in at the Vet Center. She said you don't have to go if you don't want to. I said that I am getting nothing out of it. I still go to the VA for meds every two months and I think that is enough for me.

The last time I was at the Vet Center I told my guy that I had a C&P coming up for PTSD and he said why? I said for an increase and he kind of scoffed at that.Well all I can say is

say is F*** him. I'm finished with him and the center and its time to move on.

Bill

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You are certainly entitled to do as you wish. There is no requirement for treatment, meds, counseling or any type of care. I take no psych meds but I've been attending my group for over 15 yrs. While I don't necessarily feel I still need it, I go to help others. That being said, sometime the VA may do a review of your records and with little or no treatment feel you are "cured" and move to reduce your benefit. Just a thought! I personally feel the Vet Centers do more for the Vets than the VA does. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

I was going to the Vet Center for awhile, but all they wanted to talk about was my childhood. Since, I did not have a pleasant childhood, and do not trust anyone connected to the VA, I stopped going. It is funny that they are concerned about my childhood now, were where they 40+ years ago? It is none of there business.

Papa

• HadIt.com Elder

I do think for the sake of our compensation it is good to stay in the VA loop. I go to see a VA shrink to get pills and complain. I always leave with something bad to say about my mental health. I spend about 15 minutes with the shrink, but this keeps me in the loop. We don't talk about anything but which pills work and which don't.

JMHO: I've been in and out of therapy for years, for various issues. I go for the "discuss, determine a plan or new skill, work on it until I feel like I can stand on my own again" approach. The VA offered a therapist, but I live 3 hours away and it was difficult to line up schedules with other appointments. I think it depends on your VAMC as to if they have enough on staff or not. Also, It's not up to that practitioner to determine your level of disability (unless of course you're hospitalized). They are supposed to provide treatment, and the VBA is supposed to work compensation, pension, etc. using treatment records. I don't even mention any attempts at increases to my docs. I simply work with them as best I can, and if any symptoms have changed request new appointments, meds, whatever for the worsening condition. If things persist, or I feel I've crossed the threshold into the next percentage band, I file. I keep them as separate as I can.