Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Question About Defered Rateing On Multiple Sclerosis?

Rate this question

GoldDvlDog

Question

I was contacted by the actual RSO and they told me they would give me a defered rateing for ms at 30%. And back pay for 15 months. But then she stated i need multiple qtcs for my other contentions and have the doctors say its from ms or being caused by ms or something completely different. Then they also stated that all the other symptoms would have to average out to higher than 30% for an in crease past the defered 30. I was wondering if this is good or bad!!! And is that process even right? Ms alone just for a dx is 30% so if my other 9 items average 30 put together then my rateing stays the same??? Also how long do yall think it will take them to send the back pay lol... Maybe before christmas??? Lol the whos in who ville need a little roast beast lol

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

I was contacted by the actual RSO and they told me they would give me a defered rateing for ms at 30%. And back pay for 15 months. But then she stated i need multiple qtcs for my other contentions and have the doctors say its from ms or being caused by ms or something completely different. Then they also stated that all the other symptoms would have to average out to higher than 30% for an in crease past the defered 30. I was wondering if this is good or bad!!! And is that process even right? Ms alone just for a dx is 30% so if my other 9 items average 30 put together then my rateing stays the same??? Also how long do yall think it will take them to send the back pay lol... Maybe before christmas??? Lol the whos in who ville need a little roast beast lol

GDD,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I think a Free Range Chicken in Somalia has a better chance at not making it to the dinner table, than you have of getting a check out of the VA before Christmas!

Even if the RSO had all the signatures today, I don't think it would happen. December is a month short on working days, and when you throw in all the end of calendar activites, potlucks, staff out for long weekends ect, I don't think they are going to push much paper.

Don't even think about seeing it until you have a rating decision. Depending on the amount and backlog considerations you could still be waiting 90 days after having the decision in hand.

I hope you get a Christmas Miracle, and I hope I am wrong.

Best regards to you and your family!

I was contacted by the actual RSO and they told me they would give me a defered rateing for ms at 30% Per the rating schedule for multiple sclerosis, the minimum evaluation is 30% if there are ascertanable residuals. So, basically, if you have enough symptoms to be diagnosed with MS, you have 30%.

Then they also stated that all the other symptoms would have to average out to higher than 30% for an in crease past the defered 30. What this means is that you have a guaranteed 30%. However, if you have symptoms that affect multiple body systems, the separate body systems or units, ie., legs, arms, GI, GU, special sense, etc., can and should be evaluated separately. If the combined evaluation of all the affected systems or body parts is greater than 30%, you get ONLY that combined amount, not the combined amount plus the 30%.

I was wondering if this is good or bad!!! Yes, it's a good thing, although it's a PIA to do.

And is that process even right? Yes, it's correct.

Also how long do yall think it will take them to send the back pay lol... Maybe before christmas?? It's possible, particularly if you are set up for direct deposit. However, don't spend anything until you see it.

This is for future reference and something that you should not obsess over at this point. When you receive the Rating Decision on the deferred items, take a good look at each effective date. The effective date may have been chosen because the medical evidence before this date is not adequate to evaluate the level of disability . At this point, a successful appeal on the effective date might depend on the thoroughness of your earlier treatment records.

Remember, to get a high rating for MS, you have to be banged up pretty good. All other things being equal, if I had MS, I'd gladly take only the 30% if the symptoms are minimal. I'm sure you are aware of your disease. It can be rather slow-moving, or almost fulminating. There can be minimal and transient problems, or ....

Edited by jvretiredvet

Update on my defered rateing.. they gave me sc@30% for the ms but then put two of my scondaries as part of it i.e. neurological symptoms. Then on all my other secondaries they put the word new in " s dors that mean they are saying its not secondary? But on a good note the rso i spoke with kept her word lol i got mt back pay before christmas... Even though it was short two dependants... I even got it before my award letter!

Update on my defered rateing.. they gave me sc@30% for the ms but then put two of my scondaries as part of it i.e. neurological symptoms. Then on all my other secondaries they put the word new in " s dors that mean they are saying its not secondary? But on a good note the rso i spoke with kept her word lol i got mt back pay before christmas... Even though it was short two dependants... I even got it before my award letter!

Glad to hear I was wrong!

When/if you have your award letter, you will tend to read it very quickly and might miss subtle little things the VA states/says in it. I recommend after the initial one or two readings to set it aside for a week, then pick it up and read through it again, just to make sure you don't miss anything in it. I find that going through them after taking a little time to calm down (whether it be celebration or anger), I notice things I overlooked in the first couple of reads. Just make sure you don't let it set so long that you miss a deadline to appeal/submit a form 9.

Best regards,

Edited by 71M10