Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans With Dependants Are Getting Shafted When They Reive Th Eir Awards

Rate this question

jbasser

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

After many many years of monitoring this site and having my own claim approved, It a appears the VA is playing a game of lets hide the dependent pay.

The proof is in the pudding.

A Veteran fills out a 21 -526 for his initial claim to be submitted. On that form is the dependent and bank account questions. The names and proof is already submitted to the VA.

When the claim is awarded, the VA often says we are paying you as a single veteran with no dependants. Then we have to jump through hoops with more paperwork to submit causing months in delays.

This practice is bullshit.

It is about time someone got it straightened out.

Basser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello All,

JBasser is hitting the nail on the head. This complaint has just about hit everyone on this board. Its all about the money , THE BUDGET. Now if the VA does not calculate the dependents correctly it is fine with them. That is as long as the Veteran does not notice the mistake. This means less money that the VA has going out. I am curious as to how many Veterans have caught the mistake compared to those that have missed it. Remember that the VA is almost never going to blow the whistle on itself. It will take the Veteran and his documentation and bringing this to the attention of the VA before anything will be corrected. I do not have to worry yet about this but will at some point down the road. Its always good to keep this stuff on our minds because we can easily forget and let it go. Just what the VA is wanting too. Above all though ....NEVER GIVE UP. Merry Christmas. C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

• HadIt.com Elder

Not really. With the length in time that claims seem to take, all sorts of dependent changes could take place between the time you submit and the time the claim is granted. Would you rather get the money now, and have they recoup, or wait a little and get what is actually entitled?

Not really. With the length in time that claims seem to take, all sorts of dependent changes could take place between the time you submit and the time the claim is granted. Would you rather get the money now, and have they recoup, or wait a little and get what is actually entitled?

That could be fixed with a simple phone call or inquiry.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Its just another "gotcha". Here is the problem. If the Veteran lists his dependents on the 21-526, and then the VA sends a decision awarding benefits "as a single Veteran without dependents" the Veteran has one year to correct this. If he does not notice THE VA's Error, it becomes FINAL.

Its like the VA can not read, then blames the Veteran for the inability of the VA employees to be able to read the 21-526.

The VA should get a job as a "snake oil" salesman:

They know darned well how many dependents the Veteran has, but ditches them just to see if he notices the error.

They are essentially requiring the Veteran to submit the same information TWICE. Once with the 21-526 and again after the decision.

I disagree with the VA's suggestion that Veterans have all kinds of "dependent changes". This is saying that Veterans are all alcoholics/drug abusers and dont care enough to stick around and support their families, so the VA assumes we will divorce our spouse and abandon our children.

The VA always assumes the Veteran is a liar, has lo class, is out to rip off the VA, and will do the same to his family and children so he deserves this treatment. angry.gif

When the VA treats Veterans with this mistrust, is it any wonder that Veterans reciprocate and do not trust the VA?

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree that these are not random errors but I feel that there is something particularly insidious about this conduct. Let none of us forget in this discussion that a veteran only gets one notice of disagreement with any decision and that notice of disagreement must raise all issues (i.e. effective date, percentage of rating, applicability of laws and regulations, number of dependents, etc.). Essentially everytime V.A. sends a letter mentioning that a veteran is single [despite the fact that V.A. has been notified the veteran has dependents] V.A. is baiting the veteran into writing the V.A. on this topic. Any letter sent to V.A. on this subject is construed as a notice of disagreement. Very few veterans realize that evidence such as certified marriage certificates, divorce records, and birth certificates must be received by V.A. within one year of a claim for additional compensation for dependents.

• HadIt.com Elder

My opinion is the payment errors is slip shod work and failure to read the C File.

The excuse that you will get all your back pay does not make up for the hassle and does every Vet catch them in their error?

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.