Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Exam Because Va Dropped The Ball Again

Rate this question

Mooshi

Question

I am a bit scared as I write this. I am currently at 30% for PTSD thru the VA and 100% for SSDI via the Social Security Administration. To make a long story short, I fought for over two years and had an attorney to finally win my SSDI. The VA is still giving me the run around but they screwed me big time. The Social Security Administration requested three times from the VA for my C file and the VA blew them off. I have physical copies of my C file which is almost 400 pages and also have it as a PDF file. I got a letter from the Department of Assistive and Rehabiliative Services Division for Disability Determination Services who are part of the SSA. I called my case worker for the Department of Assistive and Rehabiliative Services Division and asked if it was ok to mail my C files to them and they said sure. I still have to go to this exam now. So much for trying to be helpful. Since VA blew them off and now I have to go to a mandatory exam for PTSD, I am scared I can lose my benefits. I paid my lawyer 20% of my back pay to win the SSDI and if I get screwed now because the VA blew them off I am going to be pretty upset. My depression and anxiety along with my PTSD have gotten worse and I even have a court order that says I cannot work since my PTSD is so bad.

What do I do? I have bounced from home to home and can’t get along with anyone. I am scared. I just want to be left alone. I don’t think a 400 page C file should be blown off. Should I take all this stuff and my meds to the PTSD exam for my SSDI? I am pretty upset with the VA. I have several things wrong with me. I have PTSD, Sleep Apnea, Obstructive Airway Disease, and Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease and the VA is only giving me 30% just for the PTSD. The VA gave me a CPAP machine but claim my Sleep Apnea is not service related. I REALLY need help! Anyone?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Mooshi,

Is this for a re-evaluation? If you have already been granted disability, I think they need to show your condition has improved in order to take away your benefits. I don't think that happens very often. You don't have to prove you are disabled all over again. You have already done that. Do you still have an attorney? A call to him would most likely help put your mind at ease a bit.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-1594.htm

§ 404.1594. How we will determine whether your disability continues or ends.

(a) General. There is a statutory requirement that, if you are entitled to disability benefits, your continued entitlement to such benefits must be reviewed periodically. If you are entitled to disability benefits as a disabled worker or as a person disabled since childhood, or, for monthly benefits payable for months after December 1990, as a disabled widow, widower, or surviving divorced spouse, there are a number of factors we consider in deciding whether your disability continues. We must determine if there has been any medical improvement in your impairment(s) and, if so, whether this medical improvement is related to your ability to work. If your impairment(s) has not medically improved we must consider whether one or more of the exceptions to medical improvement applies. If medical improvement related to your ability to work has not occurred and no exception applies, your benefits will continue. Even where medical improvement related to your ability to work has occurred or an exception applies, in most cases (see paragraph (e) of this section for exceptions), we must also show that you are currently able to engage in substantial gainful activity before we can find that you are no longer disabled.

Mooshi,

I agree to contact your attorney and find specifically what this exam is about.

I don't see how you'd win SSDI without giving them everything they need. If you've already been awarded SSDI, I can't imagine it being rescinded.

There may be a misunderstanding on what this appointment with SS is.

Don't fret! smile.png

I am a bit scared as I write this. I am currently at 30% for PTSD thru the VA and 100% for SSDI via the Social Security Administration. To make a long story short, I fought for over two years and had an attorney to finally win my SSDI. The VA is still giving me the run around but they screwed me big time. The Social Security Administration requested three times from the VA for my C file and the VA blew them off. I have physical copies of my C file which is almost 400 pages and also have it as a PDF file. I got a letter from the Department of Assistive and Rehabiliative Services Division for Disability Determination Services who are part of the SSA. I called my case worker for the Department of Assistive and Rehabiliative Services Division and asked if it was ok to mail my C files to them and they said sure. I still have to go to this exam now. So much for trying to be helpful. Since VA blew them off and now I have to go to a mandatory exam for PTSD, I am scared I can lose my benefits. I paid my lawyer 20% of my back pay to win the SSDI and if I get screwed now because the VA blew them off I am going to be pretty upset. My depression and anxiety along with my PTSD have gotten worse and I even have a court order that says I cannot work since my PTSD is so bad.

What do I do? I have bounced from home to home and can’t get along with anyone. I am scared. I just want to be left alone. I don’t think a 400 page C file should be blown off. Should I take all this stuff and my meds to the PTSD exam for my SSDI? I am pretty upset with the VA. I have several things wrong with me. I have PTSD, Sleep Apnea, Obstructive Airway Disease, and Gastrointestinal Reflux Disease and the VA is only giving me 30% just for the PTSD. The VA gave me a CPAP machine but claim my Sleep Apnea is not service related. I REALLY need help! Anyone?

Mooshi,

SSDI requires a review every so often, I think my last one was 2007, I brought all my pills and paperwork to my exam, It is like

a C&P exam in and out Fast. But do not miss this Exam or any Exam they order or they will cut you off!

Good Luck and Hang Tough!

NJ

Best thing to do is follow the advice given here. You are most likely a younger person and that I believe is a factor they use in checking or reevaluating one's status as disabled. Bring the validating info you have and medication list...Remember SSA pays for any qualifying diagnoses, and VA only pays for service connecting disabilities/Diagnoses.

With previously utalizing an attorney for your original claim perhaps he/she could give you some advice on the way to pursue this also. Maybe via a consult verses fee base. Where are you in the VA claim area? Have you got appeals in or what have you done regarding your service connected disabilities and claims? Post here any concerns you have and many people will offer help, and some will tell what worked for them, but remember each VARO is different, and each rater is different too. Good luck with your claims and stay strong mentally to win these too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Contact the lawyer, who represented you for your SSDI claim, for advice on handling your SSDI re-exam. I'd also continue to appeal the 30% award, for PTSD, the VA gave you. I was originally awarded 30%, in '89, for PTSD and appealed, appealed, appealed, eventually winning 100% back to day one. jmo

pr