Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wife And Caregiver Of Totally Disabled Vet

Rate this question

Caregiverjc

Question

My husband is a Vietnam vet. He applied for PTSD 3 years ago and has been denied. He appealed, had another exam about a year ago, still waiting to heal. We are sure that they chalk his PTSD to his other condition. A little history: Over 20 years ago my husband was in an accident and suffered a severe brain injury. The catastrophic injury has left him in a wheelchair and I have to take full care of him. He has severe short term memory problems and needs help with every daily existence. He has no VA benefits because of the, I think 2003 law change about qualifying. I think he can qualify for housebound but not sure. My question is should he wait until we hear about the PTSD claim or start a new claim in the other direction. I would like some advice on what to do and where to start. This is all new for me and my husband isn't able to help. If anyone can help I so would appreciate it.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How can anyone determine which part of his mental/emotional problems are the result of the brain injury and which are from PTSD? Does he get a VA pension?

That is the problem John999, they can't tell. During the first medical exam the doctor couldn't get past the fact that he couldn't tell her what day it was. She sent him out of the room after about 15 minutes and wanted to talk to me. Besides, I have been told that his accident probably resurfaced his PTSD. Especially since his accident was a helicopter accident and he was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. To answer your question, no he does not get a pension from Va.

The VA has testing available (I had to put pressure on them for this however) to separate brain trauma from PTSD.

When my husband had a PTSD claim pending for higher rating, he also had a totally disabling stroke (now SC and should be 100% -I am waiting for the posthumous SC rating as VA needs to changethe NSC rating 1151 of 80 % to 100%SC under Nehmer)

I think my reply flew into hyperspace..........I will try again:

The VA has testing available (I had to put pressure on them for this however) to separate brain trauma from PTSD.

I can understand your concern as my husband had 100% SC for PTSD as well as a 100% Sec 1151 stroke (and now SC due to AO DMII-I am awaiting a rating on that) and any brain trauma injury to include stroke , along with PTSD can make life difficult for not only the veteran but, as his caretaker myself,

it was very

challenging -among other things.

He had both physical and mental residuals from the stroke and the testing he received was to separate these conditions (PTSD and CVA)and assess them.

He was given the MMPI (Combat related), Wexsler, the Trials Mosing, and three other psychiatric tests over a 2 day period and the results revealed catastrophic disability due to both his PTSD and the Organic brain trauma from the stroke.The VA psychiatrist was able to opine on both of these disabilities as separate from each other although they were impacting each other.

Although he suffered from serious short term memory loss,like your husband his memories of the past were crystal clear, particularly of Vietnam.

"He applied for PTSD 3 years ago and has been denied."

What did the denial letter say?

"He appealed, had another exam about a year ago, still waiting to heal."

Did you get a copy of that exam? I assume it was for PTSD?

"My question is should he wait until we hear about the PTSD claim or start a new claim in the other direction. I would like some advice on what to do and where to start. This is all new for me and my husband isn't able to help. If anyone can help I so would appreciate it."

I dont know what other direction you mean and I certainly would continue to support the PTSD claim if I were him.

Was proof of his stressor an issue in the denial?

Has he gotten any PTSD therapy at all, even prior to his accident?

If the VA won't try to assess his PTSD as searate from his brain trauma, perhaps you should consider getting an Independent Medical Opinion from a psychiatrist with expertise in these types of dual disabilities.

My husband might have gotten these tests not only because I pressured VA but also maybe because he already had a PTSD rating and years of PTSD med recs when he had the stroke.

"During the first medical exam the doctor couldn't get past the fact that he couldn't tell her what day it was"

My husband couldnt remember day of week even before his stroke.Neither can I sometimes.

To me it doesnt sound like this exam was very extensive and you might well need to get an opinin from a doctor more up on PTSDand brain trauma.

The VA separates TBI from PTSD all the time these days for OEF OIF veterans so they can do it but if his stressor is in question that might be why they havent done those tests.

Was his disability from the accident cnsidered a TBI? I would think it was and thereore VA could separat6e that as a NSC disability from the potential PTSD disability.

A lot depends hwever on whether he had a valid and proven stressor for VA purposes.

If we know why they denied the claim that would help us more.

It is important get copies of any C & Ps the VA has done as well because they could be speculative or simly inadequate and this will cause more time for the claim to be resolved.

Does he have any private psychiatrict records?

Did he ever go to a vet center for PTSD?

Did VA ever give him the MMPI for PTSD?