Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Wife And Caregiver Of Totally Disabled Vet

Rate this question

Caregiverjc

Question

My husband is a Vietnam vet. He applied for PTSD 3 years ago and has been denied. He appealed, had another exam about a year ago, still waiting to heal. We are sure that they chalk his PTSD to his other condition. A little history: Over 20 years ago my husband was in an accident and suffered a severe brain injury. The catastrophic injury has left him in a wheelchair and I have to take full care of him. He has severe short term memory problems and needs help with every daily existence. He has no VA benefits because of the, I think 2003 law change about qualifying. I think he can qualify for housebound but not sure. My question is should he wait until we hear about the PTSD claim or start a new claim in the other direction. I would like some advice on what to do and where to start. This is all new for me and my husband isn't able to help. If anyone can help I so would appreciate it.

• Answers 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Capt.Contaminate, I'm not sure why you think my husband has some underlying diseases that we are not aware of or I'm not talking about. As I stated in my first post he has severe cognitive problems because of head injury, he is in a wheelchair, and needs full-time help. He has had high blood pressure since he was in his 40, long before head injury. He has a hip replacement when he was 45, not because of accident, he is needing a shoulder replacement all because arthritis. He has had some skin cancer. If i'm not mistaken he started a claim for Agent Orange in the early eighties but got busy in life and didn't follow through. Oh, he has has an enlarged prostrate for several years but thank God no cancer. He is being screened and tested every 6 months for that. I think that about covers it.....

• HadIt.com Elder

I take it your husbands head injury was post service.

Is he cognative enough to withstand a battery of VA test related to PTSD.

J

I didn't mention that he has severe sleep apnea as well. He is taking meds for anxiety and depression. He has major mood swings as well as anger issuers that turns into a huge rage that sometimes last for hours. We as a family have had to deal with this for well over 34 years.

Edited by Caregiverjc

Yes, his injury was post service. That is what is so frustrating about the whole process. My husband is able to answer the questions he is asked about his experience in Vietnam but he forgets that he has even filed a claim for PTSD. He forgets about the nightmares, the anger, the rage episodes, the times when he still feels like he has his flak jacket on and the smell of blood that is only in his mind, etc. With his injury he still remembers everything pre- injury but the new memory is very poor.

I don't know, maybe it is a losing battle with the VA.

Hello Caregiver,,,,,,, Yes ,,when I say underlying ...I mean like a cancer,,,, IHD , Parkinsons,,,,etc. This list is already growing more and more for ALL Vietnam veterans due to the Agent Orange Issue. I would look at his health problems from the way the VA looks at it . PRESUMPTIVES. I would definetly look into it and see if your Husband qualifies for filing a claim for the list. Agent Orange is very insidious and can really harm you. Yes , the PTSD is also something that will have to be dealt with , but so will the health issues from his diseases that could be happening now.

Maybe take a look at the list of his health issues and see the presumptive list. There are so many Veterans who do not realize that they are sick from AO and just don't connect the dots so nothing gets done to help them. It took me from 1997 getting sick until some very sharp doctors 2 of them VA and 2 of them private, started asking specific questions on my Military history. That was in 2004 and 2005. And that was before I found Hadit in 2007 when I finally got my claims filed and had all my records and medical information. And just this week the VA has awarded part of my claim. Some of us here have had to go back even further to prove it up. Hopefully you will not have to take that long. Above all NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.