Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

DANDMAN3

Question

Seeking advise and any info I can get with this matter. I am at my wits end trying to restore my retirement. Seems that PL97-253 aka Catch62 Law because it kicks in at age 62 allows the Office of Personnel managment to reduce a veterans pay by the number of yrs of service unless he/she pays an amount of monies as determined by congress in to the SS pension fund for the yrs he/she servved their country and they retired from civil service under CSRS (Civil Service Retirement System). I fell victum to this enforcment action in 2008 when I turned 62. I appealed my case to the MSPB and won. They (a Federal Judge) told OPM to make me another offer on the enforcement action....They Did! they sent me they same letter AGAIN demanding payment $11,000.00. They claimed they sent me a ltr in 1983 stating I owed them 3800 dollars to be put in the SS pension fund. They just didn't mention this fact for the next 20 yrs I worked for the FED. So by the time I retired in 2003 with 7% interest per yr the amount being demanded is now about $11,000.00. Seems the only issue we could not come to terms on was the "METHOD OF PAYMENT" I offered payments since I had just filed Chapter 13 bankruptcy to protect my home from foreclosure but they DEMANDED a "LUMP SUM"....said "that is the LAW". I appealed this action all the way through the appeals courts and lost since I had to file "PRO SE" (by my self). So! As of this writing the government has taken about $69,000.00 from my retirement annuity for a 3800 dollar so called debt under the CATCH 62 Law and they would not let me pay the monies back by installments. Any advise, help or information as to what I can or should do to fix this wrong will be greatly appreciated. I have ask several senators and congress persons for help with this matter but all accepted OPMs explaination as an acceptiable reason for doing this to a disabled veteran that, explanation being "LUMP SUM" it's the LAW.

Edited by DANDMAN3

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The question that you have addressed has nothing to do with the fact that you are a disabled veteran, rather a Civil Service Employee. While there are some veterans here that have human resource experience, what you have is a legal issue. There may be an Employment Lawyer that can take your case on a contingency basis. Good luck in you endeavor.

This is a very complicated issue, but like Sharon said, it has nothing to do with you being a disabled veteran. I'm also retired from Federal Service. I got the same letter in 1983, and I owed $800.00. It explained the interest rates if I did not pay the $800.00. I chose not to, big mistake on my part.

At the time we were in the miltary they did not take out social security taxes out on us. Now, before I retired I also owed about $3,800.00 which I paid. The reason is that if I had not paid I would have gotten credit for my 4 years of service, but here is the kicker, My retirement would reflect 32 years of federal service, but when they did the retirement calculations they would only figure it out for 26 years, if I had not bought back my military (social security) time.

This is complicated as can be, did you go to any of the retirement seminars?

Papa

Papa, you said a mouthful there and EVERY military person being discharged should attend the retirement seminar.

My daughter, with 7 years Mil service was focused on a federal job prior to leaving the USAF and she listened up to all the retirement into she could during the transition process.

When she obtained DOD employment as I recall she started out in a monthly buy back plan and a few months ago she told me she had successfully bought out the entire amount left -which I recall was still quite a sum of cash.

I never quite understood this program but she was very happy and relieved that she had saved enough money for the buy out as she now has been at DOD for about 8 years.

It is really something that any veteran considering and obtaining federal employment should carefully consider.I still don't quite understand this program

and I bet many vets never were briefed thoroughly on the buy out when they were in service.

Maybe these sites will help someone here:

http://prairielaw.com/forums/t/99235.aspx

This site seems to have a legal contact area regarding all sorts of questions such as the Buy out info,

and I found many sites on the web with more info.

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-retirement/tag/military-buyback/

http://www.myfederalretirement.com/public/177.cfm