Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Importance Of Taking Medical Records To A C&p Exam

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

Wow !! If I had not taken many of my medical records with me to my recent general medical C&P exam for IU. I would have never been able to convince the examiner that events occurred, like times that I have fallen when my legs go out. I said that I have the record and he asked to see it and I showed him the entries about the falls that were highlighted, he said ok I ll give you that one.

The mental health examiner used my records to enter everything into the computer. I had highlighted the most important stuff. After he input the info into the computer he read everything back to me to see if I agree. I did

I m so happy I took many of my records.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello ,

Yes you are very fortuanate to be able to bring your records to the C and P and even more better that they looked at them and used them.

I tried to bring just one to my examiner whom I had aready known and it worked for my claim and maybe in a big way. concerning pulmonary hypertension , ,,,,,which is a 100 percent rating if it is service connected and it is P an T so we have to wait and see for the service connection.

Any time the veteran can bring records he knows will sway his claim to a possitive he needs to do that. However most of the QTC exams will not allow the Veteran to bring in any records.....only what the VA supplies the Examiner.

I brought some to another C and P exam and he would not even look at the toliet paper I was bringging in for a soft landing.(Gastro issues) Nothing was allowed at that one , so it will be the appeal time on that one.

Above all hang in there ...God Bless,,,,,,,NEVER GIVE.UP.........God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Taking records is definitely a good idea, but sometimes the doc may not accept them. In one of my C&P exams, I tried to present medical records but the doctor just handed them back to me.

Any future C&P exam, I will take my complete medical records and index them by issue and date and highlight the important notes. I did not offer the records to either examiner. When I mentioned I had a history of falls the IU examiner said that he did not find that in the record and was looking through the file for it and I said I have it and he asked to see it, I showed it to him and he said he would give that to me then handed it back to me. I think that was important to my IU claim.

The mental health examiner asked me to read from my records the stuff he was looking for and he entered them in the computer. I

Any future C&P exam, I will take my complete medical records and index them by issue and date and highlight the important notes. I did not offer the records to either examiner. When I mentioned I had a history of falls the IU examiner said that he did not find that in the record and was looking through the file for it and I said I have it and he asked to see it, I showed it to him and he said he would give that to me then handed it back to me. I think that was important to my IU claim.

The mental health examiner asked me to read from my records the stuff he was looking for and he entered them in the computer. I

hurry,

Many of us can't take our "complete medical records" with us to an exam,

I would need a good size cart with wheels to carry them on - 9 volumes for now.

Many times the C&P examiners will refuse to look at or accept a copy of ANYTHING the

veteran brings in with them.

IMO - you wound up being one of the lucky ones - on this.

• HadIt.com Elder

On the 27th I had a C&P exam for cardiac issues, the doctor opened up my VAMC records and went to the relevant tests and treatment notes that verified the issues we were dealing with that day, he had a little problem with verifying my oxygen since it was approved by Charlie Norwood instead of Dorn for some reason the VA seems to think veterans should only be seen at one VA medical center instead of at 2 different ones at the same time, except I get great primary care and mental health at Norwood and Dorn has a CHF clinic that Norwood doesn't have and being in severe heart failure I like the care the clinic provides let them figure the rest of it out

the doctor dug out from the records I was issued a new push wheel chair in Nov that is light enough for my wife to lift in and out of the trunk of the car since I am now in a chair all the time, he also had all 7 feet of my C File there and he was not interested in having to read that entire file at all he preferred to use the computer medical files to find the relevant data they even have the medical records from the civilian hospitals that they paid the bills for in the past year the 2 in patient stays for CHF in April and June 2011 and the pacemaker implant in September if you have records from civilian facilities yes you need to make sure the C&P doc sees them or at a minimum submit copies to the VARO so they are made part of your C File never assume the VARO will get records from other doctors or hospitals just because you told them about being treated there obtaining records from 3rd parties is not at the top of their priority lists if you take the records to the C&P and the doc refuses to look at them I suggest you take them to the VARO to make sure they are recieved leaving them with the C&P doc does not ensure anything and the VARO can say they never got them I am always in favor of getting date stamped copies back when you submit them to the VARO that proves you got them the records and the date it happened