Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Importance Of Taking Medical Records To A C&p Exam

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

Wow !! If I had not taken many of my medical records with me to my recent general medical C&P exam for IU. I would have never been able to convince the examiner that events occurred, like times that I have fallen when my legs go out. I said that I have the record and he asked to see it and I showed him the entries about the falls that were highlighted, he said ok I ll give you that one.

The mental health examiner used my records to enter everything into the computer. I had highlighted the most important stuff. After he input the info into the computer he read everything back to me to see if I agree. I did

I m so happy I took many of my records.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When hubby was going for C&Ps (and his initial PCP visit) he or I would carry his records in a notebook. His C-file was sitting on the doctor's desk. I know because the notebook in which I submitted his docs, similar to the one we carried, was inside the accordion folder.

It helped my hubby because the doctor would ask a question about previous medical stuff. Hubby didn't have a clue in his memory, but it was a snap to look it up which he or I would do depending on if I were there or not.

Something else that occurred when he went for the initial PCP visit...they didn't have any previous documents; instead they borrowed his personal working copy notebook of his meds and copied and returned it (after a lot of insisting from hubby since they hadn't wanted the effort of copying).

Still, concerning the C&P, the doctor missed a lot of stuff because she failed to closely examine the medical records. That was acknowledged in the decision letter.

fanaticbooks

hurry,

Many of us can't take our "complete medical records" with us to an exam,

I would need a good size cart with wheels to carry them on - 9 volumes for now.

Many times the C&P examiners will refuse to look at or accept a copy of ANYTHING the

veteran brings in with them.

IMO - you wound up being one of the lucky ones - on this.

I would suggest bringing only the medical records that are pertinent to the C&P exam. Actually, I only had my last few years progress notes from MH and Primary care doc.

I had a c&p for lung issues yesterday. when I told the examiner that i had pulmanary function tests while in service that were abnormal he immediateley asked me if I had those records. I said yes but I did not have them with me. he said they would help my claim a lot. I said they were in my c-file. he said the va sent everything in my c-file except those records that would help.

Fortunately I have those records and I am going back tomorrow for other c&p's so I will drop them at his office.

So far I've had three va c&p's by two different doctors and all were very supportive. The urologist asked me why I thought exposure to toxic chemicals caused my urinary disfunction and I told him I didn't think that. He said that the rater was asking him to relate the two. I didn;t understand because my private doc and the va doc that did my DDD c&p said it was related to my DDD.

The urologist dsaid that the symptoms I display would be the exact opposite of what they were supposed to be if caused by DDD. He then went into a lenghty discussion about my IBS and said that my urinary dysfunction was secondary to my service connected IBS. go figure.

Hello Rdawg,

This is just about what I experienced also. QTC doctor looked very interested at the Pulmonary Hypertension report that I brought in with me. As a matter of fact he acted like he had never seen it. But have not seen his QTC report as of today. I did not think he commented on it because the Pulmonary report was left out for that question. I also never got a report on the issue of Pulmonary Hypertension even though that is one of the questions the examiner is suppose to answer.

This brings up a another important question. I know that the question is suppose to be there because it is located here at Hadit under the researched C and P exams questions.

So if the examiner knows the question is there and he sees an answer that would trigger a positive award and the Regional Office FAILS TO acknowledge it..... what can the Veteran legally do? He should get the award automatically and according to the regulation he is suppose to. HOWEVER , I did not get the award and the Regional Office failed to answer the question correctly. Pulmonary Hypertension is a 100% P and T award PERIOD and it is on the Schedular Rating Table Cfrs.

This should be an automatic award in my opinion, but the regional office missed it. Result,,,,,,, another FAULTY decision. Just like yours.

Also you cannot get a C and P exam for a Pulmonary Hypertension diagnosis. Let me rephrase that ........ The only real way to get a diagnosis of PH is with a Heart Cath and secondary method of diagnosis is thru echocardiogram but it it not as acceptable as a Heart Cath. The Heart Cath is the only 100 percent method in finding PH. An echocardiogram is 2nd but it is not as as accurate and more widely used because of its less invasionairy problematics. Now the Regional offices are at a real deliema with orders to promote thru physical orders test to conclusively adjudicate a call for Pulminary Hypertension, basically a fatal disease that leads to CHF in the Veteran. Well ,,,,Houston we have a problem.

You have IBS and I have IBD which just got rated at 10%. I also notice you have similarity of IBS and there is a notice continuity from the medical journals and Immunity problems. Also noting the rise in areas of swelling of joints and RA.Rheumatoid Arthritis and this classic relationship of IBD & IBS.Joint swelling and fluid desposition to joints.

RDAWG it looks like these folks just operate with immunity and do whatever they want. You also notice at your VARO that prime evidence was missing. Same as mine.This is just amazing . More important though the Veteran should NEVER GIVE UP. God Bless, C.C.

Edited by Capt.Contaminate

I brought all my medical records concering a VA botched cataract eye surgery, and treatment after and I gave them to the C/P examiner... I left them with him and he called me later to ask me to pick them up. Other than proof that the VA had screwed up the surgery, and that I was treated by private doctors after the fact... they did not do me any good. I was still left with a 30% rating due to cataract.. nothing more.. even though it was well documented that my vision comes and goes sometimes 6 or 7 times a day for minutes and hours at a time or sometimes for 10- 12 hours a day... the va didn't care, there is no rating for intermittent blindness...and the K award doesn't cover interminttent blindness either... well needless to say, my claim has been on request for de novo review for over a year now in Houston, it has sat with no action at all.... I am not surprised as has been said many times before the va doesn't seem to care about completing appeals in a timely fashion... So while sometimes taking the medical records to a c/p exam..they did not help me in my case.