Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mandatory Overtime For Vsr And Rvsr Staff

Rate this topic

donna68

This has been going on for over 2 years in the midwest. Yes they get OT too. They have to work 5 days or 10 hr 5 days. Personnel at the VARO told me this way back then. They will not work OT without pay, nor would it be legal for those who are paid hourly. Friends and familys seem to get jobs there easier than the public too. Also wives or husbands of 20 year plus vets, get on in positions, and promotions occur pretty fast. I wish I would have gotten a job there years ago!! I did report this to 2 very well known Vets advocates over 2 years ago too!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete992, Yes staff do get paid an hourly wage for the hours worked it is their hourly wage plus about $6 to %8 additional, but in this case there are no bonuses for the general staff. Management may get bonuses but not staff. Last year when OT was forced, there were no bonuses given to staff or end of the year cash awards or extra money. Again as I stated before the staff that are working the cases are not doing work over again, hence they are not getting paid to do the same work twice. Management may be getting paid to correct their poor management as they are not held to production standards, but staff working the cases have no choice but to produce a certain amount od cases each day and if they have corrections to make, its on their time.

Myround0, I agree no one should get paid for correcting the same mistakes over and over again and should defenitely do the job right the first itme. Its my understanding that staff that work cases are on production and held to standards or have to complete a certain amount of cases each day and if a case comes back with errors that they already worked or got credit for the staff cant take credit for that case again, hence they do not get paid per say to make for corrections.

halos2, yes all VBA's RVR and VSR staff nationwide were forced to work OT last year from May to September to work Nehmer cases and yes they get overtime pay but its not standard overtime, its about $6 to $8 additional an hour, not time and a half as many believe. As far as the nepitisim, I totally agree it goes on and is going on as we text, but I must praise San Diego VBA which is pro-veteran and their staff is over 85% veterans.

• HadIt.com Elder

My concern is that long term overtime and pressure generally cause or contribute to a myriad of problems.

Tired workers are not as accurate or efficient, and usually eventually end up taking more sick days.

What we don't need are more cases that were incorrectly processed and "adjudicated". The BVA is already totally buried in appeals.

What veterans need and deserve are fundamental changes in the VA's approach to claims.

Currently, and for over a very long time, the VA is still taking the devil's advocate position, rather than following the stated intent of congress (in law)

It should be harder to deny a claim than approve it if the intent of congress is taken at face value.

I also think that a claim denial should result in minimal credit, and an approved claim should generate full credit.

This is based upon the amount and "quality" of work needed to get an approved claim through the system.

If nothing else it, would discourage the widespread institutional bias towards claim denial.

I also think that a veteran should receive some sort of additional compensation that is based upon the delay in processing an original claim and the time it takes to appeal an unjustly denied claim.

Pete992, Yes staff do get paid an hourly wage for the hours worked it is their hourly wage plus about $6 to %8 additional, but in this case there are no bonuses for the general staff. Management may get bonuses but not staff. Last year when OT was forced, there were no bonuses given to staff or end of the year cash awards or extra money. Again as I stated before the staff that are working the cases are not doing work over again, hence they are not getting paid to do the same work twice. Management may be getting paid to correct their poor management as they are not held to production standards, but staff working the cases have no choice but to produce a certain amount od cases each day and if they have corrections to make, its on their time.

Myround0, I agree no one should get paid for correcting the same mistakes over and over again and should defenitely do the job right the first itme. Its my understanding that staff that work cases are on production and held to standards or have to complete a certain amount of cases each day and if a case comes back with errors that they already worked or got credit for the staff cant take credit for that case again, hence they do not get paid per say to make for corrections.

halos2, yes all VBA's RVR and VSR staff nationwide were forced to work OT last year from May to September to work Nehmer cases and yes they get overtime pay but its not standard overtime, its about $6 to $8 additional an hour, not time and a half as many believe. As far as the nepitisim, I totally agree it goes on and is going on as we text, but I must praise San Diego VBA which is pro-veteran and their staff is over 85% veterans.

IMHO: Denial of a claim should be like denying leave: I have to have strong mission-driven justification and it has to be approved by MY boss as well. Approval only requires my signature.

Chuck75, I agree with your comment that pushing OT creates issues like burn out....

As far as denials, It is my understanding that San Diego's motto is "grant if you can, deny if you have to". They tend to take a pro-veteran approach. Though some staff may not be on board with that approach, there is a law that must support their denial

As far as taking credit for denials, prior to the new SNL Rating Decisions, a write up for a denial required much more supporting information than a grant, hence more work! With the new SNL system, it looks like unfortunately there may be more denials based on inadequate examinations, but grants will be granted at a higher percentage for many conditions or issues, like migraines and mental conditions.

As for taking credit or earning points, staff get points based on issues rated or developed, not the amount of claims or cases, ie asthma is 1 issues, tinnitus is another issues, so if a veteran claims asthma, tinnitus and lumbar spine strain thats 3 issues or 1 point. It takes 8 issues to earn 2 points, 16 issues to earn 3 points and each day a staff must earn about 3.5 points depending on thier pay grade.What alot of people on this site fail to understand is that there are laws or regulations that staff must follow (links are on this site) and if the staff fails to follow the law or interpretates it incorrectly, the veteran can appeal.

Yes, appeals are backed up 2 to 5 years depending on the city. I know first hand, my appeal is from 2008, and Im still waiting.

Notorious Kelly, u r welcome!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use