Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Taking So Long......

Rate this question

StreetWalker

Question

Injured my back in the Marines. I could hardly walk when separated and was given 10% by the USMC. This was back in the dark ages, 1980, so there weren't a lot of resources back then.

VA rated me at 20% about a year later.

Currently at 20% for the lower back injury. 10% for tinnitus and 0% for hearing loss. I've got to look at that hearing loss. Just got new hearing aids and they made me realize just how bad my hearing actually is.

Range of motion on my back is almost nothing. Almost no forward movement and very little side to side. Pain radiates down both legs. Left leg is noticeably smaller and weaker. Very hard to balance on left leg alone for any length of time. Left foot catches on steps and drags at times. Left foot is kind of floppy. I'm missing 25-30 of work per year due to back problems.

As we all know backs NEVER get better. I've got a pretty physical job. Delivering mail on a walking route. About 10 miles per day and climbing and descending about 3500 steps. The back pain never lets up. I'm taking Tramadol 3-4 times per day, 50-100 mg at a time. I'm taking Pregabalin 100mg 2-3 times per day for the radiating leg pain. I'm taking Aleve 440 mg in the morning and topping off with 600-800 mg of Ibuprofen during the day. I also take 40 mg of Omeprazole in the morning and 150 mg of ranitidine in the evening for treatment of GERD stomach issues. I guess I'm lucky the VA hasn't prescribed pills for the tinnitus yet.

I filed to reopen my claim back in April 2011. Asked for increase in the comp for back and asked for a secondary for stomach issues. Exams were in July. Have yet to hear anything back from the VA.

Now my VA doctor feels I'm depressed, which in all truth I am. I'm currently trying to find a med for the depression. Thinking about opening a claim for the depression. Should I wait for my other claim to be finished or just go ahead and file?

Any words of encouragement or help would be greatly appreciated.

Member of the Church of the Enlighten Pistolero.

I may be out-manned but I'll never be outgunned.

Shoot to stop the threat or till the magazine is empty.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

If your claims are close to a decision, I would wait on the Depression claim untilthe original claims are decided. Filing a new claim would only give the RO a reason to further delay your claim.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

That's what I was thinking.

Also forgot about the Lidocaine patches I use to help control the pain in my back.

Member of the Church of the Enlighten Pistolero.

I may be out-manned but I'll never be outgunned.

Shoot to stop the threat or till the magazine is empty.

Add the claim of drepression to the increase as a secondery due to the pain from the back.

DO NOT WAIT ON THIS you will be losing out on $$$.

Edited by Gulfvet45

James A. Bunker

Executive Director

National Gulf War Resource Center

Phone: 785-925-9887

Email: Do not post your email address.

Join us on Facebook

streetwalker, I "feel" your pain.

I filed back last year Feb 2011, cannot do physical labor at all anymore, living for the most part on the streets, requested a financial hardship claim over 2 months ago, submitted what I considered all necessary medical evidence, completed my qtc exam over a month ago, and my claim is still in "development" stage. It sucks for me, but I wish you the best and hope somethings come through soon for you.

Edited by eganusn

hey streetwalker, I too "feel" your pain.

the VA at first denied major depression secondary due to chronic pain from lower spine injury. that was just a few months after being discharged from navy for that along with back injury.

took a few years for VA to admit and SC it. we know the up hill battle track your on, and it sucks fwiw.

might i suggest you get all your papers together regarding the depression to file for it being secondary. maybe an outside VA doc's statement too if possible.

as to when to file all i can offer is i filed a new claim right after VA told me my other pending claim was basically done and waiting on signature. i even asked pva if they approved of filing it and they went along with it.

now VA says some issues on the previous claim may be linked to new claim so its almost like back to square one with them from my point of view. but, i'll have the start date of claim verus waiting. no matter what its going to be a waiting game for most of us.

good luck & get all your papers together

• HadIt.com Elder

Streetwalker

If your job contributes or aggravates your condition to the point you need a modification in your job then file for workers compensation (OWCP). Your union will know some doctor who can help. I was a postal worker. I crashed and burned ten years ago. Your boss will hate you but getting your injury as being work-related can help you keep you job a few more years until you can retire.