VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ilp Program

Rate this question

Guest rickb54

Question

Guest rickb54

Just got back from meeting with vocational rehabilitation ILP represenative. Was told before anything could be approved it had to go to wash dc, because of shortage of funds... anyone else ever herl of this? So now it has been 16 months since I requested the program and still nothing.... the va sucks

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe I should reapply I could use some good tools my kids walked off with all of mine.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'd like some new garden tools! ~Wings

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/vre/ilp.htm

Independent Living Program (ILP) participants must submit an application (VA Form 28-1900) for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Services (VR&E), complete a comprehensive evaluation with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) who must determine the applicant is entitled to services and that an ILP program is appropriate.

What Is The Independent Living Program?

The Independent Living program is to make sure that each eligible veteran is able, to the maximum extent possible, to live independently and participate in family and community life increasing their potential to return to work. Services may include the following:

assistive technology

specialized medical, health, and / or rehabilitation services

services to address any personal and / or family adjustment issues

independent living skills training

connection with community-based support services

Who May Qualify For ILP?

Veteran's whose service-connected disabilities are so severe they are currently unable to purse an employment goal.

How Are ILPs Developed?

When a Vocational Rehbilitation Counselor (VRC) determines that employment goals are not currently feasible. An evaluation of the veteran's independent living needs will be conducted. The VRC and veteran will work together to identify the veteran's needs. Together they will determine services required to address the identified needs. An individualized Independent Living Program will be written providing the services necessary to meet the veteran's identified needs. Referral to specialized rehabilitation facilities and / or for consultation with other rehabilitation professionals may be necessary in the development and implementation of a veteran's ILP.

• HadIt.com Elder

When I applied for ILS the voc rehab guy demanded that I get a written report from my VA shrink to explain how me getting a guitar and music lessons would benefit me from a psychological stand point. When my shrink saw that he started to curse and tell me to stay away from those guys. They made such a big deal out of a simple request. Perhaps things are different from RO to RO. The ILS guy also would only pay for three months of guitar lessons. That is not worth the effort. Believe it or not I can pay for three months of lessons and I can buy a second hand guitar. I should have asked for a Sig 9MM and target practice lessons. I felt crappy because the guy doing my assessment for voc rehab was suffering from some massive injury or disease and was in a elaborate wheelchair. Maybe I will reapply and ask for the Sig. I really like those pistols and I could work off my aggressions blasting holes in targets.

• HadIt.com Elder

John K.

Ahhh ... what a super pistol .. "Sig Sauer 9mm" ... the cream de la cream, especially in 9mms ... in my opinion.

A link to their site for your dreaming pleasure --> http://www.sigarms.com/Default.aspx

.. Enjoy ...

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... :)

PS: I don't do guns since RVN ... but that might change soon and I might try punching some holes in a paper target ???

With 100% PTSD & no hospitalization for it ... can we still buy guns ?? ..... Just curious ???

• HadIt.com Elder

Uh, guys? I don't think ILSP is gonna award you a pretty pistola! hahahahaha! I am genuinely humored at the thought ;-) Bill, you shouldn't have a problem if no in-patient and no criminal activity (pirating around with Oscar doesn't count). Go to a Kmart or whatever and set a deposit on a small shotgun or rifle, they'll process your registration form in something like 10-15 days. You'll know then if they've put some kind of flag on you . . . I had no problems myself, though the wait was a little hair splitting. Went for my hunters liscence too. Wings

PS John, re-apply! Like the man Flip sez "APPEAL"!!