Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fmla And Va Doctors Completion Of Paperwork

Rate this question

SpcDearman

Question

I do apologize if I am utilizing the incorrect forum. I have a rather bothersome issue that I need some advice on. I am currently out of the developmental phase and now in the decision phase. I need to figure out how to get a doctor with VA to sign my intermittent fmla request. I have days where I cannot stay at work for my full 8 hour shift. I have medications and topical analgesic that I use while at work. Most days, this does nothing to relieve the pain due to having to stretch my shoulders with my work tasks. My primary doctor REFUSES to sign my paperwork even though my records show numerous tears in my shoulder. I have even tried to see if my Physical Therapist would sign it to no avail. Has anyone been able to get a VA representative to sign off on their paperwork?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

http://www1.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=1790

4. ACTION: Each medical facility Director is responsible for establishing and implementing a

written facility policy addressing:

a. Non-VA Medical Forms. Veterans may ask VA health care professionals, including

primary care and specialty practitioners, to complete forms that require a medical professional’s

assistance.

(1) Although the primary care provider typically receives the form from the veteran, when

completion of the form extends beyond the scope of the primary care provider, additional input

from appropriate specialty services may be considered (e.g., functional assessments from

Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R), Occupational Therapy, etc.). The practitioner

completes these forms at the time of the visit, or requests the veteran return to pick up these

forms at another time, especially if not all information is available to the practitioner, or the form

is lengthy and may cause an undue delay in the provider’s schedule.

THIS VHA DIRECTIVE EXPIRES OCTOBER 31, 2013

VHA DIRECTIVE 2008-071

October 29, 2008

(2) All medical forms completed on behalf of the veteran require that the individual sign VA

Form 10-5345a, Individuals Request for a Copy of Their Own Health Information, and local

procedures must be followed for obtaining this authorization. Examples of these non-VA forms

include, but are not limited to:

(a) Family Medical Leave Act forms.

(b) Life insurance application forms.

© Non-VA disability retirement forms.

(d) State workers’ compensation forms.

(e) State driver’s license or handicap parking forms.

(f) Social Security Administration (SSA) examination forms.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Good luck.  I've been trying to get FMLA paperwork out of the Portland OR VAMC for over 18 months.

My doctor is more than willing to fill out and sign the paperwork.

But first it has to go to the ROI (release of information) office.

The doctors refer to ROI as "the black hole".  If one listens carefully as they leave the office I swear you can hear the shredder start up.

Edited by StreetWalker

Member of the Church of the Enlighten Pistolero.

I may be out-manned but I'll never be outgunned.

Shoot to stop the threat or till the magazine is empty.