VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dh's Big Brown Envelope Came.... I Don't Know What To Think.

Rate this question

hedgey

Question

He's at work. I called & told him it came - he said open it, but he has a meeting so he'll call me back to hear what it says.

They gave him 100% for PTSD as a new rating. He's working, and has been all along. He's a civil engineer, and admittedly, they've been giving him less and less responsibility over the past couple years. He's got the most seniority and experience, so he's kind of the grey-beard who points out problems waiting to happen, and answers the questions of the young'ns when they get stuck.

He likes his job. He gets into it with people, but he's working hard on not getting into conflicts.

Ack, I'm babbling.

Will he have to stop working because of this rating? All his VA doctors, shrinks, therapists, all know that he's employed. He told the psychologist who did his rating exam that he is currently employed.

He'll be heartbroken if he has to quit or retire. His job is his identity. He'll be crushed if this means he's "too broken" to be DH the engineer.

:(

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry, Carlie, the soup didn't last. He woke up long enough to scarf it down, then went back to sleep. Today he's at work, at a loss 'cause he's called 4 times. I've been down with the same cough, but better so can't grumble.

His Decision Letter is very simple. No narrative, like past ones have had, just bullets.

It says (paraphrasing for formatting purposes):

" What We Decided...

We determined that the following condition was related to your military service, co service connection has been granted:

Medical Description: PTSD to inclued major depressive disorder without paranoid features

Percent Assigned: 100%

Effective Date: Oct 21, 2011

Basic eligibility to DEA is established from 10/21/2011.

Your over or combined rating is 100%. We do not add the individual percentages of each condition to determine your combined rating.

We enclosed a VA Form 21-8760 "Additional Information for Veterans with Service-Connected Permanent & Total Disability," which explains certain factors concerning benefits.

This portion goes on to talk about life insurance, student loan discharge, etc.

The next part, with the VA seal on it says he has DEA from 10/21/2011.

The evidence they used is listed and the C&P exam, then there is this portion:

We have assigned a 100 percent evaluation for you PTSD to include major depressive disorder without paranoid features based on:

Persistent delusion (flashbacks)

Persistent hallucinations (flashbacks)

Impaired impulse control

Obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities

Suicidal ideation

Occupational & social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity

Flattened affect

Anxiety

Chronic sleep impairment

Depressed mood

Mild memory loss

Panic attacks (weekly)

Suspisiousness

Your GAF score is 48. A range of 41-50 indicates serious symptoms, or any serious impairment in social, occupational or school functioning.

The overall evidentiary record shows that the severity of your disability most closely approximates the criteria for 100% disability. This is the highest evaluation allowed under the law for this condition.

I called our VSO yesterday, and she suggested DH strongly consider retiring, or at least reducing his hours if his boss will let him go part time. She didn't sound sure of herself, so I called the VA itself and the representative said that since he was working when he filed, and all during the process, and he was clear with the examiner that he was working, he technically can continue to work. Since the findings are occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity, it more or less falls onto DH's employer as to whether he's employable. He's not TDIU, he's scheduler, so it's kinda fuzzy.

I would love for DH to retire. Or maybe better, go for a medical retirement. Or just plain stop working and we will manage.

Our finances are not in good shape (us and what percent of the country?) but we could make ends meet.

And I could stop worrying about what the next phone call might be about...

Lol, the VA guy said "hey have him quit working and the two of you get yourselves an RV and go travel the country... see Mount Rushmore, etc.!!" Ummmmmm..... that would be really nice, but it's really, really not in the budget. DH getting 100% is going to relieve a lot of pressure, and we'll pay off some credit cards. Buy an RV? Not so much...

hedgey, congrats on your man's rating. Its a good thing. If he can't work because of the rating, I'm sure he will have some other outlets to do something creative.

Hedgey,

I have been thinking of your husbands post ever since reading it yesterday. I am also 100%=SMCs but I was let go from my job when I told them I had PTSD and my percentage is only 50%. I am in my 60's too and I just said time to move on to something else and retire. I can't say it is all beds and roses but it is OK and I do try and stay active. The way I looked at it I have worked all my life and I now need to take care of myself so my wife and I can enjoy the future a little better.

With my VA and SSDI our budget is pretty decent and just told the credit cards here is what I can afford so that is it.

If your man has worked all his life while having this severe mental condition I am amazed! Please get him to slow down so you both can enjoy each other for a few years!

Stillhere