Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

70% Ptsd>>>Should I File For Tdiu

Rate this question

Gridsmasher11

Question

I am currently 70% service connected for PTSD and MDD.I am still within my year for appeal....I am currently employed by the Department of Defense as a mail clerk...It is a boring job with little responsibility and limited contact with others..My main function is just to be here......But I am having problems with attendance due to my PTSD and really barely just hanging on....My meds make it extremely difficult to wake up and drive the 90 miles to work and to function properly once there.I don't really work well with others and have had altercations in all of my previous jobs until this one.....I have a wonderful supervisor who signs off on my sick days but my attendance is getting worse..I now average between 2 and 6 days a month missed time due to the PTSD and meds........It is getting to be really difficult to keep working..........Should I go ahead and file for TDIU or should I wait until I get to the point where they have to fire me and then file....By the way I am 48 years old.......Any thoughts would be appreciated....................................................Grid

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

If i was you i would go ahead and file for Individual umployability on the form that you received (21-8940) from VA and you should have received another form in your adward letter,(21-4192) Request for employment Information,This form should be filled out by your supervisor and get he/she (supervisor) to write a letter for you,stating how your PTSD affects your ability to proform your job daily. This will save you a lot of time,because The VA aint that fast getting evidence.

mobie

• HadIt.com Elder

Why do it that way. That could be construed as gaming the system. The VA does read this site.

If you are not able to work, simply get your MH doc to take you off of work. The claim will proceed better than if you get fired.

Negative reactions in this sense can backfire. You don't want a fiduciary to handle your money and have to beg for every dollar you get.

Hang in there. you can succeed if you do it t he right way.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

I didn't mean to scam the system. I meant if the OP is the type to struggle to work even though he shouldn't be working. I was like that for years. Going from job to job because I didn't want to admit I wasn't capable of holding a job. Eventually I ran out of places to try to work at and my wife made me seek help. I just don't want to see the OP get into the same position as I was in.

I am currently 70% service connected for PTSD and MDD.I am still within my year for appeal....I am currently employed by the Department of Defense as a mail clerk...It is a boring job with little responsibility and limited contact with others..My main function is just to be here......But I am having problems with attendance due to my PTSD and really barely just hanging on....My meds make it extremely difficult to wake up and drive the 90 miles to work and to function properly once there.I don't really work well with others and have had altercations in all of my previous jobs until this one.....I have a wonderful supervisor who signs off on my sick days but my attendance is getting worse..I now average between 2 and 6 days a month missed time due to the PTSD and meds........It is getting to be really difficult to keep working..........Should I go ahead and file for TDIU or should I wait until I get to the point where they have to fire me and then file....By the way I am 48 years old.......Any thoughts would be appreciated....................................................Grid

I respect your determination but, I strongly advise you to consider Federal Disability Retirement. However, you will need to meet some requirements. I hired an Attorney to process my retirement from the Post Office. I was required to apply for Social Security Disability Insurance as a part of that process. I was no longer working but making it on my 80% rating and SL & AL. I'm currently on LWOP and I'm approved for SSDI after only five months of waiting for it. I should be hearing from the Office Of Personnel Management regarding the final portion of my disability retirement in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you post on the progress. This is a tough process but, you can do it!

I was approved for Federal Disability Retirement under FERS on Apr 12, 2012. I just need to have it finalized. Surf the internet about Federal DR for yourself or go to Harris Federal Law Firm's website to see if you qualify. FDR has nothing to do the VA and you maybe entitled to both. Good Luck!