VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Would It Be Reasonable?

Rate this question

oddairman

Question

I am on my way to go see Nero for a follow-up visit. I suffer from Migraines and from that I am receiving 30%. My rating said it did not warrant a 50% rating because they were not that bad. I want to file a not I didn’t agree with them then or now. I am going to file a notice of disagreement; but they only want new documentation. I have migraines all of the time and the meds that they have been on I can’t drive on more less try to even work. They are prostrating, on my knees. I have been hospitalized 2 times since I have gotten my rating. Is it reasonable to ask a Dr. to write down that I can’t work on medications and that my migraines are getting worse.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

A few things to consider:

When you apply for IU, the VA will contact your last employer. If he tells the VA you quit on your own accord, it will be difficult for you to justify IU...that is, unless you can document that you quit due to SC conditions. You see, if you are working, and then quit on your own accord, the Va will assume you quit because you are lazy.

If you employer fired you, say because you missed too much work, this is something different.

To get IU you have to be unable to maintain substantial gainfull employment, not just your job, but any job. If you can work but just cant do your present job, then you should contact Voc Rehab to retrain you for something more suitable..say with less stress to prevent migraines.

It may come down to frequency of migraines...or your documentation of it. If you are claiming migraines prevent working, you are probably going to need to go to the doc for treatment of migraines several times per month.

If you saw your doc 8 times in the past month with a migraine, yes, it is possible or even likely that he would declare you unemployable due to migraines. This is just my humble opinion.

I keep a day-by-day calendar on my night stand. I write every day: Level of pain, SC condition status - to include if I have or have had a migraine. When I write down the migraine, I have to keep track of meds taken so if my wife has to bring something like rescue meds, she knows what I've already taken and when. Sometimes it's a bit much to do, especially when depression is really bad, but you have to make it a part of your day. Also, it provides a way to make the conditions/diseases their own entity v. becoming the disease (letting the disease identify YOU). Think of it as taking control of the situation: you may not control the circumstances, but you can control how you respond. Also, you may find trends and patterns in illnesses. This is how I figured out how many migraines I was having per month, pre/during/post impacts and symptoms, etc. You literally have to write the book to tell the story to both your VA provider and the VARO.

PS: my neurologist keeps notes as well. I make sure to take my log with me whenever I see a provider to reinforce the status of my conditions in my medical history. I also write down what I'm told by each provider because:

1. I have really bad memory after driving 3 hours each way

2. I use the same statements they (should) have in treatment notes.

• HadIt.com Elder

Keeping a log is a damn good idea for any condition. When I filed EEOC complaints these logs were used as evidence in courts of law. You want to bury the VA in documentation even if it is your own. If your doctor tells you to keep a log keep it and use different ink and different pens.