Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Waiting On Envelope - Recieved Some Back Pay

Rate this topic

DVET

Hello everyone,

Sorry I don't post much, but I do follow and appreciate all the advice. I just want to let you know that my claim was submitted Feb. 19, 2011 to the ROANOKE RO. I had two exams one in March 2011 for my back and legs. Had been rated 40% for back and 10% each leg, total for a couple of years now 50% since about 2007 somewhere around then. I had been only recieving 20% since July 1975 for my back only. Had a fusion while in the service from T11-L3. My second C&P exam was in April 2012 for depression. My back gave out on me again in January of 2006 and I had another fusion from L4-S1. I retired on disability from the Post Office and filed for 100% and ssd. To make a long story short, I saw movement after the 2nd exam in ebenefits. Maybe around a month. It moved rather quick from gathering of evidence all the way to pending approval then it went back to gathering of evidence. But my letter had changed from the 50% amount to the 80% amount.The AB8. I was praying it was not some kind of cruel trick by the VA. Anyway, I got a check two days ago and I'm still sitting at gathering evidence. I'm have mixed feelings about the whole thing because although the back pay was good, 9,000 or so, I was expecting a lot more. SS gave me total disability for around 3 years Feb2006-October 2008 until I went back to work. I have been asking the VA to also pay me for that time as it was for a service connected disability and I could not work. I guess there answer is no, I am waiting for the letter. I am happy to be able to work and now have 80%. I feel I could have earned so much more had I not ever been disabled. Well, Just letting you all in on some good news and time line for ROANOKE. and there not paying me from the time I filed this last time, there paying me back time from the time they got my results from the second exam. Two months short. Don't know whether to complain or what to do. Hope you all have good luck, I know it's very depressing, and your anxiety levels can really get high. That's why I hope to share some good news and give you hope and tell you to hang in there. And thank you for paying back Bin Laden and your service.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry I meant to say my back pay is from the time the VA recieved my results from the first C&P exam. Filed 2/2011, exam on 3/2011 results to VA 4/2011 . Back pay from 05/2011.

• HadIt.com Elder

Effective date should be 3-1-11 the date claim is filed or condition arose whichever is later.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

I believe the effective date should be 2/19/2011, compensation beginning on 3/1/2011 and actual payment being made on 4/1/2011 for the month of March. No payment for February.

You may be entitled to more if you can show you worsened back to Feb 2006. Once you see your decision, you may want to file a NOD and submit your second fusion records and your SSDI records, showing the earlier date, as "J" mentioned. Since you were already SC for the back you may be able to get an increase dated back to 2006. jmo

pr

Edited by Philip Rogers

I filed in 2006 but was turned down by SS. VA paid me 100% convalescence for 5 month after surgery and then gave 50%. I had a hearing with SS and was denied but appealed again and case was remanded. After remand hearing I was granted 100% from the day I stopped working until I was able to go back to work. DAV had told me better to file a new claim instead of an appeal with VA because it would take longer. Don't know what the letter says but it looks like now 80% from May pay june1. It's good, just thought they should go back like SS and pay 100% for Unemployability.

Received brown envelop today. 100% unemployability deferred. Asked if I had any more records and they have asked SS for their records. Granted 50% Dysthemia secondary to back fusions which already was 40% and 10% for each leg stayed the same. They told me I filed wrong for 100 temporary disability, they were now going to consider it under unemployability. I really thought theQTC shrink was not going to do me correct. I had filed for bipolar because that's what the VA mental health treats me for. I remember the shrink saying I'm going to write you up as having Dysthemia. Maybe you will be granted, maybe not. I thought maybe not all along. Because I had been denied bipolar in 2006. This time I said depression. Been depressed ever since I had to have the fourth operation on my back. Also, my legs are weak and pain that runs down them is as bad or worse than my back. Just wanted to update you all. I'm not sure what to do now. The records that SS has are all my VA records and that's what they used to grant me the total temporary disability, I am afraid about this 50% that maybe in a year or so the VA will lower it or drop it. I guess that's with any disability they grant. I am happy. I'll be happier if they grant the 100% unemployability even if it is temporary. We went through all our money and savings while I couldn't work. Well, glad its partly over and finally heard and got some relief with the back pay even if I feel it's short two months. Thank you and hang in there, it is stressful.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use