VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do I Even Qualify For An Va Disability Rating?

Rate this question

minority711

Question

I've been in the Army as an Artilleryman for almost 4 years now and am ETSing in a few months, so I decided to start my VA claims online. I deployed to Afghanistan once for 12 months also. I've accumulated several injuries during my time in the military and was wondering if I'd qualify for any disability rating from the VA:

1. Hearing loss: My hearing in my right ear is perfect, but my hearing in my left ear is almost gone(8000 decibels). I took 2 hearing tests that day for confirmation and they noted on my medical records that I was referred to an off post audiologist(I never scheduled and appointment with them though).

2. Ringing in the ears: I have ringing in both of my ears and have had 2 appointments for it in the last month. It has gotten so bad that sometimes I get headaches from it and it'll even keep me up/wake me up in the middle of the night.

3. Back: I injured my lower back badly a few months ago in the field and was given a steroid shot as well as pain and anti-inflammatory medications. The injury left a permanent dull pain and now the pain's starting to get worse. It's also getting harder to stand up straight. I start feeling pain/tingling in my lower back if I stand up for longer than 30-40 minutes(i.e in formation).

4. Knee: I have a history of knee pain in both knees since I even joined the military. I've gone to the hospital as well as many sick call appointments for knee pain. I was on crutches and boots several times throughout my time in the military for popping/cracking, bursitis, and sprained ACLs. Now both knees hurt when I climb stairs(especially the left one) and doing squats in the gym is just out of the question.

5. Jaw: I had an accident with a circular saw which resulted in getting the right side of my face cut open. They had to perform surgery(with anesthesia and everything) to stitch it all back up(87 stitches). Since then I've always had a dull pain in my jaw. It hurts to eat chewier foods or even putting a decent amount of pressure on my jawline. I've just now started going to appointments for it now since the pain just recently started bothering me after being dull for months.

Anyway, would I qualify for any VA disability rating? My unit PA suggested that I file claims and estimates that I'd get around 30-40%. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks!

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit. On the face of what you say I suspect that you should file. You should also get checked out for any disorders that are mental.

Good Luck

If you are having problems sleeping, I would go to sick call and make sure that it is in my service treatment records before I leave the military. When you have your separtation physical i would make sure everything is document on my separation physical.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree w/everyone here, you should file and I would do it now. Be sure to list anything wrong during your exit physical, even if they say you may have to remain a few extra days. Failing to do so could cost you a lot of money, over your lifetime. The PA sounds like he gave you a pretty good guess. jmo

pr

Do you have issues with these things currently? It isnt enough that you get hurt in the military and get medical treatment. The VA does not pay you for "pain and suffering" in the military. You have to have a current chronic condition to be eligible.