Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Or Depression?

Rate this question

john999

Question

My husband had his compensation exam for an increase for PTSD on Monday and I am worried about it because the psychiatrist while he was inpatient was not helpful. In May my husband attempted suicide and had to be checked in for a couple of days (which turned out to be a horrible experience). The psychiatrist gave him a GAF score of 50 and states that there was a strong suspicion of factitious disorder with ailments of malingering, does appear to be depressed. There are multiple disparities and patients pt’s record, to numerous to list here and that makes me doubt a dx of PTSD. When I went to pick up his c&p exam, the examiner stated:

Current diagnosis:

Diagnosis 1: depressive disorder , not otherwise specific; Axis 1

Diagnosis 2: deferred: potential clustered btraits vs. personality disorder. Axis 2

Axis 3- medical diagnosus (to include tbi)

Axis 4- chronic pain

Axis 5- Gaf-45

Occupational and social impairments with deficiencies in most areas, such as; work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking and or mood.

Symptoms for Va rating purposes:

Depressed mood, impairment of short and long term memory, disturbance of motivation and mood, difficult in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships, suicide ideation, intermittent inability to perform ADL’s including maintaining a minimum personal hygiene.

Other symptoms;

Labile mood/affected dysregulation that appears may be chacterological in nature. Veteran currently depends on his wife for daily household responsibilities including finances.

After a thurough review of the c-files, CPRS record, previous c and p exams, and response and observation form the current clinic interview it does not appear that the veteran mental health issues are reflective of PTSD. Other VA providers have also noted the questioning the PTSD diagnosis based on his presentation and behavior. The single PTSD system report on this date reports of nightmares. His report of reactions to the described harassment seem more reflective of depressive symptoms as opposed to PTSD. Depressed mood and affect dysregulation were predominant and his current presentation in report are symptoms of Axis 2 (potential clustered btraits vs. personality disorder) condition is suspected but its deferred at this point cannot be conclusively formulated in this single visit without more speculation of note.

Veteran presents himself in a way that would indicate he would be unable to obtain or sustain gainful employment at this time. He is currently in the caregiver program which facilitates veterans being dependent on his wife for many aspects of activities of daily living. It seems unlikely that the veteran would demonstrate an improved level of functioning in a place of employment.

My questions are; A) since they stated that he does not have PTSD but depression, will he lose his compensation? Will we have to start all over again and wait another year? B) Will the psychiatrists subjective statements while my husband was in treatment hurt my husband’s chances of obtaining an increase or unemployability? He saw numerous diagnosis (none of which I diagnosed him with) and stated that my husband was lying and he was doing this for almost 5 years for financial reasons (what financial reasons, we were better off before he was depressed/PTSD). C) I know that it is a long shot, but what do you all think his chances are. I have been on here enough to know that majority of you know what you are talking about.

Thank you all in advance.

• Answers 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

He is not on SSDI. I was going to try and wait until the claim goes through because if he gets denied the VA will use it against him. This is his second try at unemployability; the first was when he was 60% and they denied him because he did not have enough rating and he was denied by SSI. The problem was that he never applied for SSI.

vistagirl81

I would get the process started for SSDI immediately all you need is to give them the medical evidence and supporting documents I had SSDI long before my P%T was awarded SSDI would be a big help for you at this time hope this helps.

I'm trying to catch up on the VAs methods and madness regarding claims, I think it's appalling that the VA does not connect depression with PTSD, and to say that TBI is not an issue because 4 years have elasped so we can sweep that under the rug. PTSD is a serious condition, if you have it, it makes sense to believe that your going to have symptoms of depression. I stopped using the VA medical in 1997, I had my C&P medical for diabetes and after the exam, I see why I left, the VA does not use the appropriate professional to address veterans need and even if they do, your not getting someone who is at the top of their field, your getting someone who is at the 30 or 40% mark, they have a license but. The VA was using cost cutting well before the rest of the medical world started using it and the veterans suffered. I lived near a VA psychiatric hospital in the early 90's, on one the wards a young RN was almost beat to death with a pool due to short staffing. A suicide attempt is a serious sign of something going wrong, when they find the veteran dead, then they say" oops we were wrong" it seems he was depressed.

Greg

• HadIt.com Elder

Only the VA and SSD believe you can draw a straight line between PTSD, depression, anxiety disorder and all the psychotic disorders. If you can connect it to service then it does not matter what label you put on it. When I first got connected it was for schizophrenia and depression because they did not have a DX of PTSD. They just threw the kitchen sink at me. What matters is how your disability affects your ability to work and function in the world. I think it is wise for vets to go to the VA psychiatric service and just complain and document your conditions. Take the pills and all the BS and do your own thing regarding real help.

Since the VA is taking an inordinate amount of time to decide some claims due to the backlog and other reasons, depending on how long since your husband worked, if it were me I would not delay with SSDI. With SSA's requirements for last quarters worked, it is important to not let that lapse. Although it's been quite some time since I worked, I doubt it's changed any since then...20 out of the last 40 quarters aka 5 out of the last 10 years of employment have to be met for SSDI purposes. It is very important that the agency's requirement for that be part of his decision to apply because there are some things within their law that are not appealable, one being one has to meet the eligibility, outside of the medical/unemployable issues. The quarters requirement that I mention are dependent on other issues, but it's in our best interest to apply sooner rather than later if the medical issues are there and let them make their decision. I have found that even with their own back up with claims, they move a lot quicker than VA, for the most part, at least with the first decision. If denied, I still believe that they move one through the system somewhat quicker to get to the hearing which could still lead to an award. Good luck...

Edited by Ethan'sGrandma