Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing And Tinnitus

Rate this question

Hollis

Question

This post is for my oldest brother.By the way he is 70 yo. anyway the VA has given him hearing aids, a wheel chair, a new ramp and a power chair. But he is not SC. The VA sent him to a GOVT. HEARING CONTRACTOR for a hearing test. The test was the 8 of Aug.he was told he had a hearing bad loss. So he got a letter Wed and he was denied, again. He went to get a copy of her report, she told him that she wasn't allow to give out that infromation. QUESTION here is she right? My brother never served in combat he was a helicopter machanic. so any help or advice here would be greatly .

thanks

his little brother

Hollis

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Anytime a Vet has  DENIAL for missing a C&P Exam he can request another C&P Exam filing NOD,  That he was not given proper Notice and disagree with the decision.

go to a private  State License Audiologist and have them give your brother a hearing test and use the VA guide lines and proper creitier for the test and include the CD Maryland CNC Word discrimation test...you can find these her eon Hadit he needs to put the hearing test numbers down from the test.

ask the Dr to write his impression in his Pro -opinion  if he can say this Veterans noise induced hearing loss with tinnitus recurring and constant  is likey as not caused from his previous military service being around loud air craft daily.  veteran states he has not been around loud noises he does not Hunt or use a

FIREARM in anyway.

use both test as your evidence from VA & Private Doc's

I realize this post was posted way back in August  but other veterans can use this information as well.

...................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I've not been successful in winning my hearing loss claim but did win my case for tinnitus. I was a tank & wheel mechanic which exposed me to loud, shreak noise for hours on a daily basis. My service records and civilian dr opinion (along with hearing tests) supported my claim sufficiently for approval. It did take a 2nd claim to get it through but finally did. Still frustrating that hearing loss continues to be denied. Hope this helps.

This post is for my oldest brother.By the way he is 70 yo. anyway the VA has given him hearing aids, a wheel chair, a new ramp and a power chair. But he is not SC. The VA sent him to a GOVT. HEARING CONTRACTOR for a hearing test. The test was the 8 of Aug.he was told he had a hearing bad loss. So he got a letter Wed and he was denied, again. He went to get a copy of her report, she told him that she wasn't allow to give out that infromation. QUESTION here is she right? My brother never served in combat he was a helicopter machanic. so any help or advice here would be greatly .

thanks

his little brother

Hollis

Hollis, If the hearing test was conducted by an outside contractor (such as QTC) and not by a VAMC it is not uncommon for them (contractors) to refuse to give a copy of the exam to the veteran. You will need to write a letter requesting copies of the C&P directly from your brothers VARO. I posted a copy of the letter that I sent requesting a copy of my C&P results in another thread on hadit.com:

Not sure if I'm understanding you correctly as far as SC for hearing loss or tinnitus - he has not been service connected for these? If this is the case then he needs to look at the requirements in order to get them service connected. http://www.hadit.com...mpensation.html If you can post the reason(s) stated by VA of why he was denied which should be included in the letter he received - it would be helpful to more experienced members of hadit.com to assist him.

Also, once you receive the C&P report for hearing - you might want to compare it to the rating charts for hearing loss which can be found here: http://ecfr.gpoacces...0.1.1.5&idno=38

If you need help in figuring out the rating charts for hearing.....just ask.

Edited by USMC5811

“A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces, but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.” - John F. Kennedy

OK let me try and explain again, he was a helicopter machanic, no combat in his 3 years of service. He was sent to a VA contractor for a hearing test. the letter he got was not for a C&P just for a hearing test. After he got the test he was told he did have a bad hearing. He also told her about the ringing in his ears. OK 2 weeks later he got a letter from the VA saying he was denied because in his SMR there was no report on injury or diesase to his inner ears that would cause his hearing loss. WE sent in a fast letter showing his MOS as being one of the reason causing his hearing loss. So I guess they just did not look at that. We will be going this coming week to see our local VA ref. and see what he has to say. next we will go see our local congressman and file again from his office.

Sorry Hollis for my misunderstanding. I obviously wrongfully assumed that the hearing test that was contracted out was a C&P Test. If it was a test that his PCP requested he STILL has a right to review his medical records to include this hearing test and obtain copies of it.

Just read the fast letter I think your speaking about (FL-10-35)

Edited by USMC5811

“A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces, but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers.” - John F. Kennedy