Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc For 100% Plus 60%

Rate this question

fisherman

Question

I applied for under agent orange my diabetes II for my service connection from Viet Nam service in the first part of August. I am taking metformin 500mg twice a day, and told to diet and exercise. Today Sept 27 I received a phone call from the VA making an appointment for next Tuesday Oct 2 2012 for C&P for my claim. I don't know what to make of this because I thought I would have to go threw a big process to get this done. In my claim I didn't ask for SMC at this time will they award this without asking? I asked the person who called if I needed blood work and she said no just bring my medicines I take. Today I went to that C&P and the guy told me this was a simple matter, VA only wanted to make sure I had Diabetes II, He ask if I had any medical information other than the VA and I said no. I also got a package from the regional office with forms I signed at the DVA for no more evidence decide my claim. I am completely at a loss about this, could someone help me to understand what I should expect. I am 100%PTSD 40%hearing 10% tinnitus plus the diabetes rating, will I qualify? Many thanks

Edited by fisherman

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just don't forget to ask for it the VA rarely automatically awards an S rating.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was entitled to "S" for over two years and did not know it. When I found out from Hadit member I asked for it and it became a CUE. I got the SMC "S", but I never would have if I had not asked for it and quoted Bradley vs Peake. You are not supposed to have to ask for a SMC but I sure would not trust the VA to do the right thing.

My husband is rated 100% for heart only, he isn't housebound. Would he be entitled to SMC or does he have to be 100% + 60?

Thanks everyone for your input and your service.

VetswifeIndy

My husband is rated 100% for heart only, he isn't housebound. Would he be entitled to SMC or does he have to be 100% + 60?

VetswifeIndy

• HadIt.com Elder

VetswifeIndy

VetswifeIndy

If he's rated 100% "solely" on his heart condition, he may be eligible for an smc "s" award, for either housebound(HB) or aid & attendance(A&A), otherwise he would need the addtional 60%. If his 100% keeps him from leaving the house to go to work 40 hrs a wk, he could receive HB.

pr

PR

While I have great respect for your opinion, Im not "getting" what you are posting. The 2 ways I know of getting SMC for housebound, is the "100 plus 60" statuatory HB and "housebound in fact".

I dont get what whether or not this is a "single" 100% (or combined) has anything to do with it.