Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Form 21-686C Dependent Status

Rate this question

Kray

Question

I hope this is the correct place to post these three questions.

1. How long does it take to get Dependent Status to be added to the Claim. I filed form 21-686c on July 23, 2012 and have not heard anything?

2. How do I know if they have received the filed form 21-686c?

3. Is there a phone number you can call to be sure?

Other Facts to Share with the Forum that might help others:

First filed for CAD in Oct 2010 and Waived military retirement for VA disabilty.

Signed up for Fast Track. No action on my claim so I called them in Feb 2012 in an attempt to get it moving.

Approved for 10% CAD for Agent Orange in March 2012, approved back to August 2010. Got first check from VA in April 2012 .

Had C&P exam at VA in April 2012.

Approved for 30% CAD for Agent Orange in July 2012 back to August 2010 and got increase in VA check in August 2012

Approved for CRSC in late August 2012 back to September 1, 2010, receive first monthly check from CRSC on Oct 1, 2012.

Called CRSC today and advised will receive check from CRSC in about two weeks and from VA Audit in about 60 days for back pay to 2010.

I was advised by the VA that my other claims for ailments not on AO list was just sent forward two weeks ago. My guess they will be disaaproved since not connected to AO and unable to obtain any military records. We will see.

I did all of this on my own except for asking some questions on this forum and doing some reading. I thank all of you for your help.

Ken

Edited by Kray

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Carlie, Thank you for carify, but they did not ask for divorce papers and since she had SS card they did not require Birth certificate.

SP4,

My reply was not intended to offend you any.

It was not meant as a clarification to you -

it was meant for the members and readers in general.

Birth Certificates are usually requested for the minor aged dependents of the claimant,

especially if the dependent was not of record during active duty or is a step child,

many different factors on this one, often court adoption papers are requested, etc...

If either the claimant or spouse has had a divorce - the vba wants to

verify that the divorce in fact - was legal and the marriage to the veteran is fully legally valid,

by wat of a legal divorce decree.

In my situation, they assumed my wife and I were divorced and my three boys died. I had originally sent in all the necessaries when I went to my VSO. Two and half years later, they granted the claim that put me at the 30% mark, made their assumptions, and made me refile all my stuff "...just to be sure..." still waiting almost a year later. Hopefully it will be soon...

Sgt. Wilky

Sgt,

If the evidence of record is not current enough for their criteria -

then it's part of their job and process at least attempt to verify

that you are still married to the same person and you still have

dependent / minors that you are financially responsible for.

Many times - especially during the appeals process, our lives change -

kids turn 18 and spouses get dumped - that's just life.

I hate to see how long it takes for claimants to begin receiving their additional

dependent compensation - hell, I'm still waiting since 1978 . . .

but it really chaps me bad when I read thru BVA decisions that show a vet

being paid for 4 or 5 kids that are not his and that he has no financial liability for

and getting the same thing for a "wife" that's a woman he's been staying with here and there

for a couple of years that call themselves common-law marriage, yet keep everything

financial separate and or live in separate houses, etc. . .

JMHO

SP4,

Birth Certificates are usually requested for the minor aged dependents of the claimant,

especially if the dependent was not of record during active duty or is a step child,

many different factors on this one, often court adoption papers are requested, etc...

verify that the divorce in fact - was legal and the marriage to the veteran is fully legally valid,

SP4,

Were cool, You did not offend me.Thank you for the information!smile.png

Edited by SP4RVN1971

My compensation claim was completed in March 2012 and backdated to 10/2011 due to agent orange and ischemic heart disease. I was determined 100%. Filed the 21-868c with all supporting documents to add my spouse to the claim as my dependent in April 2012. My claim is being processed through the Portland, OR RO. I was first given an estimated completion date of 6 months, that grew to 10 months and most recently I have been told that the person personally handling my dependency claim has been pulled to a special project and to expect 12 to 18 months for completion. These claims take NO special treatment and are in fact at the bottom of any priority list. Although I would not want to get in the way of any compensation claims, appeals etc, I am frustrated that a non-rated claim can be discounted and I am left to feel guilty wanting my money. (I NEED this addition to MY income.) Yes, I have been told, not to worry I will get this nice fat back pay once resolved. It has sat at Decision waiting approval for about 6 months now. It has been verified that they have all the required documents that they need to process this claim.

I did actually hear from someone from the Portland RO, not the IRIS or 800 call center. He was kind enough to do some real "look at" research for me. I recently met him while he was here in my area. Very nice guy who is as frustrated with the working conditions at the RO and I am in their output. Seems they build backlog piles, pull folks who are safely treading water to help with these piles and return to their normal workload to huge backlogs. This is the normal for their work assignments. Not a happy environment with never feeling in charge of their own assignment responsibilities. They did hire new folks at Congress' direction but it takes about 2 years to get these new hires up and running in a competent manor. I didn't ask but suspect that workers are taken from their work to help in their training.

The process worries me. If I die before this is settled, my wife will have a frustrating and daunting task to even get her survival benefits. Wondering how long THAT will take her? Certain bankruptcy will be part of her estate planning. What a mess this is. Hoping there is expedited processes in place for the widows of our current armed forces as well as for those returning severely compromised with injuries!

Can not speak about other ROs but the Portland, OR is taking this long for mine so suggest you do not plan on the funds, just view them as a surprised payday once they settle this claim. Not right, but it is the way it is!

I'd like to add my 2 cents on these dependency forms since I submitt a lot of them. Of what I am about to print, some info has already been published, but here goes. The VA FM 21-686c is submitted with the following documents; any and all marriage certificates, divorce decree's, birth certificates for those children dependants under the age of 18 (23 if the dependant is in college and the vet still supports). Adoption documentation if appropiate, ssn's for spouse/child (some VARO's require a copy of the SS card, while many others don't). Legal guardianship documentation is not accepted because this action is not considered permanent.

Now, the time length as previously stated, varys depending on the VARO. Many VARO's have no one to handle this job by itself like they had in the past. Many have been re-assigned, promoted or assigned other tasks. most VARO's have now assigned employees an additional tasking to take care of dependency and claims that are deserving of retro pay. We all were in the military and I think everybody knows what additional duties are. If you are extremely lucky, won the powerball, won a free trip and had a live person actually answer Peggy, they will tell you, that these claims are not a priority with the VA.

There was a time when dependency claims took 30 days. Now, I have seen these claims at the 2 year mark.

Retro pay, the same thing, I have seen vets receive their retro pay in 10 days all the way up to 18 months.

bottom line is this, and it doesn't matter who says it, or what site your on, but the VA is in need of some adult leadership. We have a president that doesn't care about veterans or we would of had a new Secretary of Veteran Affairs.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS......