VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question On Aide And Attendance

Rate this question

Cm Burns

Question

I had an appointment the other day with my Doctor. Because of my health buddy she feels that Im not taking care of myself and offered me assistance. I am assuming this is what aide and attendance is because she said they would help me with daily activities and meds. I want to know if that is what this is how all of that works. Is that just a regular claim or does another section at the varo handle this. I just found out friday that I was awarded 100% for ptsd on my appeal. When my vso told me that he said for me to not send anymore claims in with this because they could take the 100% back and its would be hard to get it back. so if this a new claim do i need to turn it down. Please help I want to know and do the right think and want to know what all I need to send in or what I need to do to set this out to make it work. Also what happens with aid and attendance do they send someone to your home or do you pick the person. Any help will be appreciated.

Thnx

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

In some cases the VA will pay for a health care person to check on you to make sure your taking meds and such..

For A&A you must request it . it requires an exam ( that your Primary care doctor) can do .. you must show that you need the daily care of another person, that doesn't mean that you can't do things for yourself..

In my case I cannot cook because I am on oxygen, I can not do any lifting, or put my shoes, sox and braces on. I sometimes need help in personal areas depending on my lever of pain.. But .. I can still drive ( only in the daytime), and I can still feed myself. Because of my limitations I get A&A.. You pick the person that helps you, in my case it is my wife, and sometimes my son, or grandson... Keep in mind, A&A does not pay enough for you to have a full time care giver . If you are a recent veteran there exist a new care giver program that the va pays for directly to your care give, but they must attend a va class. His older veteans don't have this benefit, although we need it just as much as the newer veterans...

Hope this help to answer your question.

• HadIt.com Elder

First off, your VSO is an A--hole!!! By him telling you not to submit any other claims means he's lazy and is in the VA's pocket. For yrs VSO's have scared claimants into not pursuing additional claims by threatening that they might lose what they have. That's BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They can review your claim at any time but can only reduce it if you have improved, they made an error in the award or fraud.

As for the aid, they are probably talking about getting someone to come to your house to assist, not a claim for A&A. jmo

pr

Oh.. one added note.. and I've said it before.... If I had ever listen to someone else, I would not have A&A, I would not be 100%, and I would never have been awarded the adaptive housing grant or auto grant. Advice is fine, but if you think you have a valid claim than submit it and to hell with the nay Sayers. I was a service officer for years, and even if I thought a claim was a waste of time. I submitted it for the veteran, and many times the claim came back approved and I learned something... good luck