Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare, Medicare Va Ss Disability

Rate this question

Dano50

Question

Hi, I'm going to start getting Medicare of 3/2013 and will be 60 years old. I wanted to know if anyone on this web site uses another plan like United Healthcare AARP PPO with their Tricare. I talked to a Medicare lady tonight and was advised to search out further answers but she has experienced a lot of VETS us plain old Medicare with no additional plan and use plain ofld MEdicare. I do use the VA as I have been rated as if I was 100 percent disabled. Do not need prescription help but I was wondering if anyone can comment of what they know. Thanks.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I have been on medicare and tricare for life for the past 3 years and my wife for the last 2 years. My wife has a lot of medical issues and I have a few with a couple more about to be added to the list. We have not had to pay anything since being on both of them. I had a hospital visit and the bill was 18,600 and was told by the hospital that everything was taken care of. The doc.'s and hospitals bill medicare first and then tricare. I don't know if we just got lucky or what but, I'm not going to ask questions. Forgot to add that all of our meds are done thru express scripts with tricare and it costs us 3.00 per script. If your doc. gives you something that you cannot take a generic for then they only pay 80% of that and you have to get it thru a drug store.

Edited by boomer2

I have had Medicare and Tricare prime since 1999. Now one thing that all military retirees need to consider is that at age 65, ( look at your retiree ID Card) all civilian medical care stops. This means that Tricare for life will not pay civilian medical bills after age 65. So when you hit that magic age or go on Medicare which ever is first, you will have Tricare for life and also starting in Jan 2013 you must be within 40 miles of a military medical facility to be able to keep Tricare Prime. At age 65 you will need a Medicare supplement. Keep in mind Tricare for life is free once you start on Medicare so paying for a Medicare supplement at age 65 isn't in addition to any cost for Tricare.

the Advantage programs will be out of business or cost a lot more in a year because the Affordable Care Act reduces the federal subsidy for them from 14% to 2%, if I remember right