VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Need Info On Ships Leaving Danang Harbor 11/26/69 -12/10/69

Philip Rogers

Question

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

15 answers to this question

I'm assisting a marine who left Danang, between those dates, but doesn't remember the ship's name. Any links would be appreciated. Thanks!

pr

PR,,this might help not sure but it has a few listed http://www.publichea...iplist/list.asp

Gunston Hall

(LSD-5)

Conducted numerous troop, supply, and equipment landings at Da Nang, Chu Lai, etc. during 1966 and from March 1968 to February 1970

Delivered equipment to Saigon via Saigon River during March 1968

Iwo Jima (LPH-2)

Docked to pier at Da Nang on October 6, 1969

Operated as troop transport with helicopters and smaller vessels transporting troops on and off shore for amphibious assaults from May 1965 to August 1972

Edited by tmoe (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

Was the Marine stationed on a ship, or in Vietnam proper? What unit?

Does the veteran have any service records. Are the records at the VA or in the St Louis repository.

At the VA may really mean that the records are at a VARO, or in the VA managed section of the repository.

• HadIt.com Elder

Was the Marine stationed on a ship, or in Vietnam proper? What unit?

Does the veteran have any service records. Are the records at the VA or in the St Louis repository.

At the VA may really mean that the records are at a VARO, or in the VA managed section of the repository.

Chuck - I helped him win his original TDIU award over 10 yrs ago. He was an ambulance driver, w/a hospital unit, and is currently TDIU, P&T, w/an SMC "s" award. I believe he's looking for the ship he departed VN on.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

PR,,this might help not sure but it has a few listed http://www.publichea...iplist/list.asp

Gunston Hall

(LSD-5)

Conducted numerous troop, supply, and equipment landings at Da Nang, Chu Lai, etc. during 1966 and from March 1968 to February 1970

Delivered equipment to Saigon via Saigon River during March 1968

Iwo Jima (LPH-2)

Docked to pier at Da Nang on October 6, 1969

Operated as troop transport with helicopters and smaller vessels transporting troops on and off shore for amphibious assaults from May 1965 to August 1972

Thanks, tmoe, I'll pass it on! Good link!

pr

http://www.publichea...iplist/list.asp

This is the most updated ship list from the VA...uopdated Nov 2012

I need to check the one I just posted in the AO forum, to see if it,in fact, is this same list.

Chuck asked the same question I have...because many marines left Vietnam ( Danang Air base ) by plane, not by ship.

The Amphibious Trackter Battalion my husband was in, walked through the ocean water to the shore line, when they departed from the Amtraks , that had left the main ship in Danang Harbor , Operation Starlight, but he and many other Marines departed Vietnam from the Danang Air base, by plane when their DEROS arrived.

Does the phrase Haven class ship ring a bell with him?

Was he with 3rd Medical Battalion: June 1965- November 1969?

Has he googled his Vietnam Unit on Line?

Alamo (LSD-33)

Edited by Berta (see edit history)

It might have been either the USS Repose or the USS Sanctuary.

During the Vietnam War both of these ships alternated in anchoring in Danang Harbor and then cruising the Dong Ha shore line.I dont think they ever docked in Danang as they received casualties via the medevac choppers.

The USS Repose wasn't decommissioned until it left Vietnam on March 4, 1970---

Every 3 months the ships rotated to Subic for repairs and maintenance .

The USS Sanctuary was the only Navy hospital off the shore of Vietnam аfter 16 March 1970 and last I heard she is still afloat.

If you can give me more unit info Flip, on this vet , I have so much USMC command history on Vietnam from my AMU courses that maybe I could narrow it down better for you...like which Regiment was he in?

I assume he was 3rd MARDIV , 3rd Medical Battalion but might be wrong about the 3rd MARDIV

Edited by Berta (see edit history)

• HadIt.com Elder

It might have been either the USS Repose or the USS Sanctuary.

During the Vietnam War both of these ships alternated in anchoring in Danang Harbor and then cruising the Dong Ha shore line.I dont think they ever docked in Danang as they received casualties via the medevac choppers.

The USS Repose wasn't decommissioned until it left Vietnam on March 4, 1970---

Every 3 months the ships rotated to Subic for repairs and maintenance .

The USS Sanctuary was the only Navy hospital off the shore of Vietnam аfter 16 March 1970 and last I heard she is still afloat.

If you can give me more unit info Flip, on this vet , I have so much USMC command history on Vietnam from my AMU courses that maybe I could narrow it down better for you...like which Regiment was he in?

I assume he was 3rd MARDIV , 3rd Medical Battalion but might be wrong about the 3rd MARDIV

Berta - I just received an email w/the following info: "He was 3rd Med. He left Cua Viet between Dec 1st and Dec 7th, 1969. The ship was a LSD or a LST as it had a flat bottom and they were with the 3rd Engineers. On Dec 7th they were in a typhoon off of Okinawa and the crane got loose and was sliding around on the floor of the ship and they ask for volunteers to go in and hook it down again. He and 11 others were left on the dock in Cua Viet for 2 weeks to fend for themselves, as there was no room in the first ship, to leave. This was not a medical ship. He left from Okinawa. The 3rd Marines were pulling out of Vietnam at that time. "

pr

phil i would start contacting his buddies someones got to come up with the ships name. another thought what port did the ship arrive at?..oakland?..etc..san diego..if it was a dod ship or on charter the port authority might divulge info on arrivals? good luck and praise to you for your help to fellow vets.

It might have been LST 1126,but if he doesn't remember the name (hull number) how would he know if someone here hits on the exact same ship he means?

huh.png

Cua Viet river is Brown Water Vietnam.

Is this for a Brown Water Navy veteran's claim, as the Marine does have SC already?

• HadIt.com Elder

It might have been LST 1126,but if he doesn't remember the name (hull number) how would he know if someone here hits on the exact same ship he means?

huh.png

Cua Viet river is Brown Water Vietnam.

Is this for a Brown Water Navy veteran's claim, as the Marine does have SC already?

Berta - I've emailed them to find out why. I don't think it's AO related but might be one of his guys trying to confirm the crane incident or the abandonment issue for a PTSD claim. I'll post again when I hear.

pr

GREAT Links Tbird!!!!!

Great links Tbird!

Just a few to add,

Marines Vietnam

http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm

(from Texas Tech University Virtual Vietnam Archives)

Units and home page has maps

FMF Pacific info

---------------------------------

http://www.popasmoke.com/

If popasmoke rings a bell with you - this site is great

(USMC Combat Helo Association)

http://community-2.webtv.net/cwlloyds/UNITEDSTATESNAVYIN/index.html

Brown and Blue Water Navy Vietnam and

in-country Amphibious Mobile Riverine- SEALS

http://www.afa.org/mitchell/reports/1204vietnam.pdf

USAF Vietnam

Command battles, operations

I thumbnailed and attached a War Map of Vietnam here many years ago, it is in Vietnamese and maybe I can find it in the search or attach it again.

All of above have helped me help some vets with their claims in the past as well as with my homework.

As long as a claimant has internet access, and is willing to take the time to do research, even the piece of straw in the proverbial hay stack can be found!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks to all who helped!! He found out the ship was the "Ogden." He was able to find almost everything he wanted thru this website (http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm) Thanks Berta!! He is sooooo happy!!! Again, thanks everyone!!!

pr

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a fabulous USMC site !!!!!!!!!!!!!