VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Info On Ships Leaving Danang Harbor 11/26/69 -12/10/69

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm assisting a marine who left Danang, between those dates, but doesn't remember the ship's name. Any links would be appreciated. Thanks!

pr

PR,,this might help not sure but it has a few listed http://www.publichea...iplist/list.asp

Gunston Hall

(LSD-5)

Conducted numerous troop, supply, and equipment landings at Da Nang, Chu Lai, etc. during 1966 and from March 1968 to February 1970

Delivered equipment to Saigon via Saigon River during March 1968

Iwo Jima (LPH-2)

Docked to pier at Da Nang on October 6, 1969

Operated as troop transport with helicopters and smaller vessels transporting troops on and off shore for amphibious assaults from May 1965 to August 1972

Edited by tmoe

• HadIt.com Elder

Was the Marine stationed on a ship, or in Vietnam proper? What unit?

Does the veteran have any service records. Are the records at the VA or in the St Louis repository.

At the VA may really mean that the records are at a VARO, or in the VA managed section of the repository.

• HadIt.com Elder

Was the Marine stationed on a ship, or in Vietnam proper? What unit?

Does the veteran have any service records. Are the records at the VA or in the St Louis repository.

At the VA may really mean that the records are at a VARO, or in the VA managed section of the repository.

Chuck - I helped him win his original TDIU award over 10 yrs ago. He was an ambulance driver, w/a hospital unit, and is currently TDIU, P&T, w/an SMC "s" award. I believe he's looking for the ship he departed VN on.

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

PR,,this might help not sure but it has a few listed http://www.publichea...iplist/list.asp

Gunston Hall

(LSD-5)

Conducted numerous troop, supply, and equipment landings at Da Nang, Chu Lai, etc. during 1966 and from March 1968 to February 1970

Delivered equipment to Saigon via Saigon River during March 1968

Iwo Jima (LPH-2)

Docked to pier at Da Nang on October 6, 1969

Operated as troop transport with helicopters and smaller vessels transporting troops on and off shore for amphibious assaults from May 1965 to August 1972

Thanks, tmoe, I'll pass it on! Good link!

pr

http://www.publichea...iplist/list.asp

This is the most updated ship list from the VA...uopdated Nov 2012

I need to check the one I just posted in the AO forum, to see if it,in fact, is this same list.

Chuck asked the same question I have...because many marines left Vietnam ( Danang Air base ) by plane, not by ship.

The Amphibious Trackter Battalion my husband was in, walked through the ocean water to the shore line, when they departed from the Amtraks , that had left the main ship in Danang Harbor , Operation Starlight, but he and many other Marines departed Vietnam from the Danang Air base, by plane when their DEROS arrived.

Does the phrase Haven class ship ring a bell with him?

Was he with 3rd Medical Battalion: June 1965- November 1969?

Has he googled his Vietnam Unit on Line?

Alamo (LSD-33)

Edited by Berta

It might have been either the USS Repose or the USS Sanctuary.

During the Vietnam War both of these ships alternated in anchoring in Danang Harbor and then cruising the Dong Ha shore line.I dont think they ever docked in Danang as they received casualties via the medevac choppers.

The USS Repose wasn't decommissioned until it left Vietnam on March 4, 1970---

Every 3 months the ships rotated to Subic for repairs and maintenance .

The USS Sanctuary was the only Navy hospital off the shore of Vietnam аfter 16 March 1970 and last I heard she is still afloat.

If you can give me more unit info Flip, on this vet , I have so much USMC command history on Vietnam from my AMU courses that maybe I could narrow it down better for you...like which Regiment was he in?

I assume he was 3rd MARDIV , 3rd Medical Battalion but might be wrong about the 3rd MARDIV

Edited by Berta