VA Disability Claims Community Forums - HadIt.com Veterans
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.

CHAT NOW

• question-001.jpeg

Have Questions? Get Answers.

Tips on posting on the forums.

1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.

2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.

3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.

Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.

Leading too:

exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.

Examples:

• Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?

• Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?

This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”

Note:

• Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• VA Watchdog

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Difference Between Dro And Raters

SolInvictus

Question

Seasons greetings folks, just have a quick question I need answered to help me tolerate the insane length of time the RO takes to complete the decision phase in a denovo review case. Question; is the DRO pretty much the same person who rates a denovo appeal case or does he or she simply decide on the validity of the vets NOD and then passes the claim on to a different entity to rate and grant percentages? In other words is the DRO decision the final hurdle before notification or do the raters have the final word? As always all thoughtful inputs will be most appreciated.

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A DRO or Decsion Review Officer is a very senior level person who is under the level of the manager but has the power to change any decision made.

A Rater is a person who rates claims. DRO is a couple of grades higher.

J

A DRO or Decsion Review Officer is a very senior level person who is under the level of the manager but has the power to change any decision made.

A Rater is a person who rates claims. DRO is a couple of grades higher.

J

Thanks for coming through so promptly. What you just said was what I needed to know. It basically tells me that if my case is with the raters, then the worst part of the storm is past, it is past the summit of the mountain and the raters are at least on the downward slope. Hopefully a little more endurance and ill have some closure, for better or worse.

The DRO is also a rater, and would be the actual rater on a denovo review.

Thanks buddy, I guess that's even better since it would mean less hoops for my case to jump through. Once it's in front of her I can count on it to be decided and rated all by the same person without the need to get into another queue for the rating part. I have a question though, is there a time limit per case for the DRO in a denovo case? I mean i can't imagine them spending more than a few hours per case if it has all the necessary components completed (C&P's, documents, evidence etc). I assume with such a long waiting list of files awaiting adjudication they would want to get through with each case as rapidly as possible. Or is this just wishful thinking on my part?

• HadIt.com Elder

My past experience (several years ago) with a southeast VARO was that the DROs assigned to a claim were in the supervisory chain of the original rater (RO).

It was rather obvious that the DROs were virtually " rubber stamping" ROs decisions.

The DRO reviews were being completed in a time frame that was too short to be be believable as a true and complete review.

I hope that the current scrutiny, complaints, and review have stopped such things.

Count on waiting!

That is definitely one truth I can count on to be constant so you're very right about that.

My past experience (several years ago) with a southeast VARO was that the DROs assigned to a claim were in the supervisory chain of the original rater (RO).

It was rather obvious that the DROs were virtually " rubber stamping" ROs decisions.

The DRO reviews were being completed in a time frame that was too short to be be believable as a true and complete review.

I hope that the current scrutiny, complaints, and review have stopped such things.

I actually hope she works faster because I talked to her before she requested the last set of C&P's and she indicated she viewed my appeal very favorably. So my only problem is the time factor and the meandering nature of the process. But like John999 said, that is the one rule I can count on them to stick to so I guess I better forget this Christmas and hope the new year and January brings better tidings. Thanks for all your input though friends, always much appreciated.

I know there are a lot of differences on this subject and I am going to reiterate my own opinion and take it for what you will. I felt through my painful journey DRO was a dead end. He/she worked in the same office as the original rater and no doubt knew each other and that relationship might influence their review for my appeal and only add years. I wanted it at BVA asap and that is where I eventually prevailed..

You have to go with your heart on this one. There are just a lot of variables.....

I know there are a lot of differences on this subject and I am going to reiterate my own opinion and take it for what you will. I felt through my painful journey DRO was a dead end. He/she worked in the same office as the original rater and no doubt knew each other and that relationship might influence their review for my appeal and only add years. I wanted it at BVA asap and that is where I eventually prevailed..

You have to go with your heart on this one. There are just a lot of variables.....

Sorry to hear they put you through that kind of pain Deanbrt. It's a shame you had to wait all that time for a redemption they must've known you deserved from the outset. And even though I'm sure the retro doesn't undo the wrong done to you, I'm sure it was a small consolation to have been proven right by the arc of the moral universe so to speak. It's good to see right overcome regardless of how long it takes. I went the DRO route and sort of feel I'm close to the finish favorably because I simply misunderstood the process in the beginning. I made it easy for them to deny me because I counted on their honesty and goodwill with respect to vets. This Time I did my research and backed my claim up with so much evidence that they really have to totally disregard their own rule book and precedent to escape the checkmate I have baited them into. Even the DRO herself admitted I was wrongfully denied to my vfw rep and pretty much said I have some CUE's even I didn't catch before. I hope this will be, once all is said and done, justice for me in a small but meaningful way, as perhaps yours ended up being. Thanks for your care and assistance buddy.

• HadIt.com Elder

Brother Deanbrt is right, you may have to go with your heart.

This entire process is almost impossible for someone who is well versed in it and can be a nightmare for a newcomer.

Do you have anyone that can look at your claim and information?

J

Ijust had DRO review on 12/10. I wouldn't want to play poker with her. It either took 6 months or 9 months for the appointment. My RO was out of Sioux Falls but DRO was at Muskogee, Ok. She only made 1 remark about the case and it was positive but I want to see it in written form before I get my hopes up. Okla VETS representative found in records that my advancing age was a determent the first time, but with advancing age I opted for the DRO. So hopefully it will be a shorter route than direct to BVA. Just my opinion. Don

Be ye also patient, stablish your hearts: for the coming of the LORD draweth nigh. James 5:8

Brother Deanbrt is right, you may have to go with your heart.

This entire process is almost impossible for someone who is well versed in it and can be a nightmare for a newcomer.

Do you have anyone that can look at your claim and information?

J

The vfw have helped me so far. I used a congressional inquiry but all that did was create noise and on the plus side let me know the real status as well as put me in touch with the DRO. Due to all that plus the great wealth of info on hadit, I believe I have the situation in hand and can see that time is all that remains to be endured. I was hoping after meeting the DRO that all would be complete before Christmas, I can see now that it might take a while longer because the document you just sent me shows just how complex the process is even after the DRO agrees to grant the appeal. Thanks for that J because I can finally help my wife understand why we must remain patient.

jbasser You're right. What doesn't make it any easier, is when your VSO doesn't understand what the VA did wrong when they denied my claim 41 years ago. I feel I might have to do this part on my own. Of course, I'm a student of this site. I just have to put it together right before I submit my case. The input on this site is invaluable.

It is logical that an dro review will take longer and in my case I want it to? Because asking for an EED if they don't do a complete review of my entire folder I will not win!

My initial claim in 84 was a mess and the rater her missed a lot and had tunnel vision and just denied. It has taken me years and some telling me I would never get it! But I pushed and finally prevailed in 2008!

Now that I am finally SC I want them to admit that they screwed up! The opinion of my last CP examiner is very powerful and I will fight this to my grave!

I think back how this denial has hurt my family over the years and hoping they do the right thing! If not then on to the BVA but the SOC

THEY will HAVE TO WRIte A DOOSEY!

Stillhere

Edited by stillhere (see edit history)

A DRO is, or should be faster than a BVA appeal. No I9, for example, is necessary for a DRO review. Also, there is no "certification" required for a DRO, like there is with a Board appeal.

My take on the DRO vs BOARD appeal is thus:

If you have "new and material evidence", I suggest you opt for the DRO. If you do not have "new" evidence, then I think you can safely "skip" the DRO review and proceed to the "Board".

Reason: Res Judicata prevents the DRO from looking at the same evidence and coming to a different (more favorable) conclusion. Once a decision has been rendered at the RO, to change it mostly requires "new" evidence, in the absence of Clear Unmistakable Error.

However, if you are seeking a different result with the same evidence, you will need to go to an appealate body..the Board..

Its all j1vo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_judicata

Edited by broncovet (see edit history)