Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nurse Practioner Are Seeing Patients Instead Of Doctors

Rate this question

tmoe

Question

The previous post was closed.was told to start over,anyway I ask the question about NP as being my primary doctor. Is this going on at all

VA medical center or just in Augusta Ga.Carlie says its been going on but in my seven years as seeing VA doctors this is my first with a

NP.She is doing good so far even givin some pain meds. I think it maybe a good ideal stay on her good side,because they are the one

that does C&P exams mostly. I guess you see the doctor when dying only.I know a lot of MH doctors quit at Charlie-Norwood but looks

like regular doctor also

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Teac

We have had bloody spats here in the past, so don't worry about feathers. I hope you keep posting because you helped me get "S" via Bradley v Peake. We have had many disagreements about intent of regs and rules of the VA. We are here to help each other. That is the main thing. That is why I like this place compared to Veteran's Benefits Network where I never felt welcome.

John

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents. I have been seeing a private dermo doc now for years and she is a PA and my wife's regular Doc. hired a PA and now that is who she sees. My problem with the VA is that when you go for a C & P you should see a Doc who specilaizes in the field that your claim is for i. e. heart= cardio, bones=ortho not some NP or PA. The doc I have at the VA is a real doc but she does have a PA working with her and she does come in on the last part of the visit. I was not aware that an NP could prescribe meds. I think they should have to run the script thru a doc first. JMHO.

Teac

Keep throwing in your 2 cents because sometimes it is worth a buck.

I am glad VA is not my only health care provider,I was talking with a cancer patient today at the medical center he

was saying that he also has a NP as primary doctor says he was told the same thing give it a chance. There are some good NP

out there thats is better than doctors.Doctors are changing from the old days. You would not have to beg or treaten a doctor to write an opion

you ask and they would be happy to help you in any way they could. You ask one now about a letter (we don't do that) but you can cut on me.

Doctors don't care, people don't care. so we must look out for your self..I just don't like the ideal a nurse as my doctor. In my hometown we have one running

the clinic with no doctor there.If you not satified with who you have I guess it time for another doctor or something

As long as we let it happen its that much harder for the next vet to get the proper care for their injuries and disabilities because I just don't

think a NP should be allowed to give any treatment advice of any disability,because a NP is not a doctor and if VA is that low to let it happen

than it will be a lot more backlog in claims

Edited by tmoe

Yes I agree MD's have more training than NP's and PA's. However I would point out there is a whole lotta MD's I would not want around me. In history some of the most important medical advances were not made by MD's

Pennicilin, Fleming NOT AN MD

Medical X-ray, Rotegen NOT AN MD

Aniseptic technique, Lister NOT AN MD

Hey lets throw some real interesting MD's into the discussion:

Taliaferro clark md was the brainchild for the Tuskegee experiment.

or how about Shiro Ishii MD who was so good at germ warfare and experimenting on prisoners in Japan in the 40's, that we gave him a job after WWII. As a matter of fact there are probably some people on this board that are indirectly in receipt of some of Ishii's best work.

The point I am trying to make is a lot of basic medicine can be competently handled by non-MD's. If I have chest pains shooting down my arm and can't breath, you better believe I want a Doctor, but chances are your seeing that resident first.

Best regards,