Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nurse Practioner Are Seeing Patients Instead Of Doctors

Rate this question

tmoe

Question

The previous post was closed.was told to start over,anyway I ask the question about NP as being my primary doctor. Is this going on at all

VA medical center or just in Augusta Ga.Carlie says its been going on but in my seven years as seeing VA doctors this is my first with a

NP.She is doing good so far even givin some pain meds. I think it maybe a good ideal stay on her good side,because they are the one

that does C&P exams mostly. I guess you see the doctor when dying only.I know a lot of MH doctors quit at Charlie-Norwood but looks

like regular doctor also

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If you want the best you better be looking for MD, BC or MD Dimplomat "speciality type here" These doctors are board certified which often indicates another 1-2 years or study in the specific type of medicine that they practice. Primary care or Family medicine are specializations, so if the MD you are seeing doesn't hold those credentials they are not a high quality physician for basic care.

We have talked about NP and PA's and the Vaunted MD's. So what about DO's??

As for Liability NP's and PA's are agents of the supervising physician and even if the supervising physician never saw them they are liable. As for VA none of the VA physicians you are seeing are liable, there is no malpractice insurance, the VA is in a sense a self insured institution!

I view the NP and PA as an extended triage, if they are doing the job right they hand you off or up at the first sign it is not a basic medical condition. As for perscriptions, if they are licensed with the DEA they can wright perscriptions. An MD does not allow a person to write perscriptions the DEA license does, I know MD's that cant write perscriptions (exception not the norm).

As a general rule I do agree that it is inappropriate to have an NP completing C&P's.

If we complain about NP's to the VA because we have a fixation on the two letters MD, and only because of that, our complaints will fall on deaf ears, because our argument does not have reason. Studies actually show less medical mistakes are made in practices that employ NP's or PA's with proper supervision. Now that proper supervision is the clencher - but an MD that hasn't been properly credentialed/vetted is probably just as, if not more dangerous (and we know what a good job the VA does on cheking out docs)!

Your choice, but i have differ also do a research on your doctor it might help. I don't trust one doctor opion. I even have a doctor at Mayo-Clinic

and he is very good but I also has someone else to opion or counter his opion. I ASK who is liable

Edited by tmoe

• Founder

I see only a Nurse Practitioner as my primary care and it has been that way a long time.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

I see only a Nurse Practitioner as my primary care and it has been that way a long time.

It looks like it been that way for a lot of people,but they could do better, since 2006 when i started with VA medical care i always saw a

doctor,whether its orthropedic,nueurosurgeon,heart doctor or what ever the case was until I ask for another Primary Care doctor and thats when

i got this NP. So far she is very nice and getting plenty of test order even put me in the KT clinic but is not a doctor. I just feel better seeing a doctor and

also this was a new clinic with new doctors i guess they get fill up quickly with returning vets and new claims

I started having Dental work done at the VA Dental Clinic, but before they started I had to be checked out by a medical person at the VA. The person that I saw was a NP, and she was very nice, but came to find out her husband was one of my legal advisors when I was working.

When is everyone moving to San Antoniobiggrin.png

Papa

I started having Dental work done at the VA Dental Clinic, but before they started I had to be checked out by a medical person at the VA. The person that I saw was a NP, and she was very nice, but came to find out her husband was one of my legal advisors when I was working.

When is everyone moving to San Antoniobiggrin.png

Papa

Unless you requested to be seen by a primary care provider, they had no business requiring you to do so. Eligible vets are entitled to direct access to dental care, never setting foot into another VA clinic if they so choose. The reason vets, only wanting dental care, are misled into seeing a PCP is so a "vesting exam" can be documented, which gets that facility several thousand dollars, supposedly to treat the "new" patient. It is about dollars, not the vet's health or safety.

As far as San Antonio? Lived there for 15 years, can't wait to get back.