• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Navy To Offer Same-Sex Partner Benefits

Rate this question

carlie

Question

"Navy to Offer Same-sex Partner Benefits

Week of February 18, 2013

The Department of Defense announced the extension of benefits to same-sex partners to ensure fairness and equal treatment to the extent allowable under law on Feb. 11.

The U.S. Navy will begin offering these benefits no later than Oct. 1.

To qualify, Sailors and their same-sex domestic partner will be required to sign a Declaration of Domestic Partnership, which is similar to that in use by other federal agencies.

Servicemembers will file the declaration at their PSD, where a DD Form 1173 ("dependent" ID card) will then be issued allowing access to benefits.

Children of same-sex domestic partners will also qualify for the ID card and benefits.

Benefit information and updates to policy on benefits for same-sex partners and families will be posted as they become available on Navy's Don't Ask Don't Tell Post Repeal website on Navy Personnel Command's web page under Support and Services.

For more military family support resources, visit the Military.com Family Center."

Full article:

http://www.military.com/military-report/navy-to-offer-same-sex-partner-benefits?ESRC=miltrep.nl

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Not that I really want to keep this going, but I am compelled to speak due to concious. Some of you may or may not know that the graphic i include as a picture associated with my handle 71M10 goes back to my days in the Army as a Chaplain's Assistant. In doing my duties I worked with all denominations and as an individual I did my best to truly support each and every one, even if their beliefs were different than mine. It altered my world view!

I can accept people that are different and just because a person holds values or opinions that I do not agree with does not make thier beliefs or ideas untenable to me, I view it as a choice or viewpoint that I would not take or have. Overall, I have meet very few individuals in my life that I question the value of their existance to society.

When we start dishing out summary judments on groups of people we should start with our own cohorts. How many right to lifer's are also Pro death penalty??? How many Pro Choicers would support the legalization of prostitution???? Why do we send people to jail for consensual sex with 14 year old, because they are not capable of making an informed adult decision, but when it is a 14 year old commiting a crime we are ready to impart the ability to concieve that crime as an adult and then send them to trial as an adult? As a society we are full of contradictions.

I do see recognition of same sex relationships as a civil rights issue. we continue to discuss the issue in terms of amourus or sexual unions. I would assert that the law should be redefined to encompass relationships between individuals who have legally co-commited to the support, care, and well being of another. I could be completely fine with being married to my wife in the church and establishing the paperwork with the government to recognize our commitment to support, care and provide for each others well being. It does not have to be an all or nothing proposition folks!

As for politics, any time we talk about a change in a LAW or administrative ruling it is political. Unfortunately, we are at a point here in America where we deserve the system we have. We continue to elect people who govern not for whats in the best interest of this country/state/county/town, but what is best for their political assencion and survival. We allow political parties who hire significant numbers of marketers and organizational psycologists/sociologists to ensure we renew or expand thier power by dividing us up in groups and prodding us to attack each other.

I understand that justice delayed is justice denied, but we have a lot more serious issues that should be attended to at the national level before marriage, abortion, gun control or *pick your wedge issue*.

Best regards,

Because your a prior chaplains assistance I am bewildered by your statements on one hand you express a belief that same sex marriage should be legal, on the other hand it seems your have forgotten about Sodom & Gomorrah and the many passages in the bible that speak against homosexuality and call it an abomination.

Most agree that the majority of our laws come directly from the Bible, and still a minority of citizens want the Ten Commandants removed from the public forum.

Now, as I have said before, I don't even pretend to understand this issue, however, I believe what the Bible tells me is true. I don't believe it is a natural for a man to be with a man, or a woman to be with a woman, and I honestly feel that those that condone such acts directly or indirectly are simply wrong. Christ tells us to love the sinner but to hate the sin... but in doing so he makes it clear that the wages of sin is death..... I personally believe in the literal translation of the Bible and you either believe in the entire Bible or you don't believe in it at all.

At the same time you seem to imply that a pro lifer who is also for the death penalty is a hypocrite. In doing so you fail to separate the fact that those lost by abortions didn't have a choice, and those affected by the death penalty paid a price for their choices...

I do think we have more important issues to deal with, but the powers to be thought this was the time to make policy changes so it is what it is.....

Carlie I have no beef with you or same sex couples. I typed I FEEL in all caps to indicate it was an emotional state not a rational argument. However, their are elements withing the GLBT community that have made it quite clear that "civil union" is not acceptable, it has to be a "marriage".

The only reason for this is that to be provided with whatever the benefit is,

THE LAW REQUIRES there have been a "marriage" between the two people.

This issue deals with benefits for veterans and service members,

even tho it pertains personally to my life, I feel it has importance to veterans

and service members and is worthy of being posted.

I post TONS of information, case law, research, etc . . . here and additional places.

Some of it relates to issues that personally effect my life,

most do not personally effect my life,

more likely than not, at least 95 percent of what I post,

effects some veterans or service members life.

I make absolutely no apology at all, for posting anything that relates to benefits

for veterans, their families, VBA claimant's and our current service members.

Disagreements and or agreements to disagree are welcome.

Hadit has very few rules - if you want to discuss Politics or Religion

there are many web sites for that, other than here.

• In Memoriam

I think that people who live together are families. Veterans families deserve benefits and any progress in any area is progress.

Ridehard,

Welcome to hadit.

I have been posting in blue letters for the last 8 years. I won't change it. It is my way of escaping the life of Military black and white.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• Founder

Ok first off Carlie posted this because it will affect benefits for veterans. The source of the information was http://www.military.com.

So she made the letters big, big deal. Clearly some folks feel very emotional on this topic, against, for and abstain it really doesn't matter. If they make it law then that is what it is and if you object to it on moral or religious grounds then you should take it up with your congressman and senators.

Carlie has given her blood, sweat and tears to provide tons of her time doing research on law, claims and a hundred other things, as well as the time she dedicates to be a moderator and admin on the forum.

When anything comes out that affects veterans benefits, which will affect some claims then veterans need to know about it. If this topic was related to Agent Orange and the law changing no one would be pointing out that the post was in to big a font.

So you don't like the law fine, write your congressman and senators. You don't like the president vote for the other side, write him or her a letter. Get involved in a grass roots movement.

I will not tolerate intolerance on this board, whether it's racial prejudice or homophobia.

This topic is closed if you want to talk about how this affects VA claimants then you will have to wait till the law takes effect and what comes of it. If you want to talk politics or moral outrage then this isn't the place. Yes, I made this sentence in big letters.

Move on people.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Founder

All Carlie did was copy and paste that from military.com the forum software turned it into big letters, I just found this out a few moments ago. This happens with formatting sometimes.

As I stated in my post, it is either the law or it is not. We are here to help veterans help each other through the VA claims process. If it is law then veterans need to know, so the law is changing so now everyone knows, but like I said, it really doesn't matter where you come down on the issue morally, religiously, politically or any other way.

I did not find it to be a personal agenda. Carlie makes no secret about who she is as do others husband, wives and so on. I would see this as a personal agenda if she only posted items related to gay veterans, however, she does not. She has helped countless veterans for years, the majority based on statistics heterosexual's, so again, no, I did not find it to be disrespectful or some kind of gay agenda.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.