Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Do And Donts In Meeting With Dro This Week ?

Rate this question

jcolwell

Question

I am getting mixed advice on what to take or not to take.

I have read Berta posting on this site from many years ago.

Can someone update me on what to expect etc for my meeting on 1.5 year old appeal .

Thanks

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Its probably not changed much, so follow Berta's advice.

Do: Go prepared, with all your SMR's and VA records. If you make a statement that conflicts the medical evidence, then your entire testimony may be discounted. If they ask you for a "date" something happened, look it up. Dont guess, because they nail you if you remeber a different date than the medical record states.

Do: Check the RBA to see if the VA has all your key evidence.

Do: Arrive on time, or early.

Do: Bring your VSO with you or other knowledgeable person with you, if possible.

Do: Be honest. They will check your statements.

Do: Get plenty of sleep the night before, and get breakfast if you normally have breakfast.

DONT Fake or exaggerate illnesses or injuries. If you dont normally use a cane, then dont bring one to the meeting just to impress. They may watch you in the parking lot and if you walk fine in the parking lot, then your limp in the office wont be regarded highly.

DONT Blow your cool, use foul language, yell, or make accusations.

Dont Talk too much, but calmly, and accurately, answer their questions.

Dont Volunteer too much information. Just what they ask.

Remember the most important thing you can do is make sure all the records are there, and to NOT say things that conflict with the records.

Good advise from Broncovet here!

If it is a question of getting evidence into the record, it helps if someone can be there to hand you evidence in tabbed manila folders ,or marked somehow so that they can hand it to you right away.

It pays to have a copy of the actual decision on hand too as the DRO should only be focusing on what has been appealed in that decision,unless you have some new and material evidence you want to get into the record, that pertains to the decision.

I think it is a good idea to plan something after the hearing that you would enjoy, like maybe a nice dinner or renting some good DVDs...and focus on that before the hearing ,as something to look forward to.

It might help alleviate any stress these hearings can bring.

DROs are probably even more stressed up then claimants are for these hearings.

No decision will come that day.

The denial and the SOC gave you clues. Have you obtained evidence that should overcome the denial or at least put it into Relative Equipoise?

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Most of the time in a DRO hearing you shouldn't have the SOC yet. So if you don't have one, don't stress about it! Be sure to have the Decision that you are appealing(as Berta referenced)!

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are issued any VA devices such as hearing aides, cane or anything, glasses make sure you are using them.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

Even if it seems your claim is going down the toilet don't blow your cool. You never know what will happen with these appeals. I had a DRO agree with everything my lawyer said and then turn around and give us a flat denial. He got the word from those above him. "You, Mr. DRO, are not going to give this vet 30 years of retro at this VARO!"

John