Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Disability Not Good Enough?

Rate this question

jmcon007

Question

I am a 100% disabled veteran...70% PTSD and unemployable (permanent). I was told last week by the Washington County Assessor (Oklahoma) that he has determined that I must be 100% disabled, unemployability notwithstanding, to take advantage of property tax exemption. He then proceeded to raise my property taxes.

I can find nothing about the "unemployable" exception in Oklahoma tax law and the OTC said they didn't know what the assessor was talking about either.

On top of this, the assessor has not given me written notice of denial within the 5 day requirement, stating the reason for my denial and my options to appeal.

Where do I stand? Anybody?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Wisconsin addressed this in 2009, and clarified it. From a Vet page, not the reg as I could not copy and paste that entry, but you get the gist...

"However, beginning with tax year 2009, the age restriction has been removed. Veterans need now only be residents of WIsconsin for five continous years, and their 100% service-connected disability rating can now be obtained through individual unemployability. Surviving spouses of eligible veterans also qualify."

Thanks,

Hamslice

• HadIt.com Elder

That "Summary of Benefits" letter should suffice. That letter is delivered by the VA for state purposes. I would deliver it to your tax office and have them date/sign that they received it. You may want to mail a certified copy also, just in case. Remember all correspondence should be written, otherwise it "never happened." jmo

pr

Thanks for the replies. I have a "Summary of Benefits" letter from the regional office in Muskogee showing my combined service-connected disability at 70% and that I am being compensated at the 100% rate, due to unemployability. The letter also states that I am considered to be "totally and permanently disabled to due your (my) service-connected disabilities."

I didn't find the same wording on 'view my status' at ebenefits.

I just want to be sure.....Thanks for the help.

Edited by Philip Rogers

You should receive 3 letters from the VA . They should say "The official records of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) disclose that (your name) is entitled to receive service connected compensation at the 100% rate effective date_________________. The evaluation is permanent with no future examinations scheduled.

This letter is furnished for assistance in establishing entitlement to benefits in the state of Okla. Our records indicate the Vets SS# Is:------------." end of quote.

I had to call my VSO office to get the letter. Have you applied for the sales tax exemption? Even that might help. Go back and see if you can get a different person in the accessors office. I got mine in Craig county with no problems in March.

You will have to have those three letters from the VA. 1 your copy, 2, for Okla tax exemption 3, for county assessor.