Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent Backlog

Rate this question

eddingtons

Question

I am very fortunate that I was awarded 70% SC for Bi-Polar just three months after applying in 2010. I was also very fortunate to have that bumped to 100% just one year later and my wife and most children added without a hitch.

It took six months to have two children added as some how their birth certificates were put in the wrong data base and everytime a representative looked at my claim it appeared as if everything was correct when in reality two children were missing. It took a trip to Louisville and someone manually walking a file to a supervisor to have correction made and then all things were great..

Until one of those two children turned 18 in August of 2012. I submitted the paperwork four times saying she was still in high school. Yet every time I called it was not showing until I had my KY dept of Veteran affairs fax it in..now it shows that it was received but I still have not received compensation for her since she fell off after turning 18.

I had my claim reviewed for a hospitalization and she was not added back, I also had another child born in 2012 who was added but she was not put back on...why look at one part of a claim but not the other.

Now this child is applying to college so I will have to submit more paperwork showing that she is still in school. I have not had her added back for high school yet I have to show proof that she is in college.

How can I get her added and stop her from constantly falling off. I understand that there are much more pressing issues than a simple dependent add but shouldn't they have a seperate dept for simple things like dependent addition/subtractions to free up agents to work on "real" claims? It shows on E-benefits as being in the rating phase. This is not a ratings decision..it is merely adding back a child that was already listed on the claim.

Edited by eddingtons

• HadIt.com Elder

Again let me state this for everyone.

Dependant issues are ancillary benefits and are not. I repeat are not claims.

Dont give in to these Regional offices treating them like claims because they are not.

These can be done in a matter of 10 minutes and the VA is just sitting on them.

Contact your reps and explain this to them/ Treating ancillary benefits like claims is a no no.

J

yes John you are correct Sir. sometimes its just easier saying dependent claims, because they understand that terminology instead of saying they are ancillary benefits. JMO

Evening all,

I am experiencing the same thing in GA. My ancillary (for dependents) is being treated as a claim. It is listed in ebenefits currently in gathering of evidence. I have presented all the documentation three time, including to my VSO. Does anyone know who I should contact in the state of GA.

Thanks to all

when did you submit your paperwork? I would give it at least 90 days then maybe contact your congressman. Even today, they are having a tough time getting answers from VA. I really don't like advising anyone to contact their elected official until they have at least give time for the VA to do something.

Like I said before, most VARO's are having people work these as an additional duty. It's not right and John was correct when he stated they only take about 10 minutes to decide. lack of adult leadership within the VA at its finest!

I mailed in a dependency form for a marriage last Feb 2013. I also tried updating on line, but the website would never "complete" so I could make the changes. As a last resort, I called the 800 number today only to be told that the Houston office has an average of 390 days to complete dependency reviews. Seriously? 13 months to look at a marriage license? VA needs to get an "easy" button... this should be a no-brainer.