Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Approved

Rate this topic

coconutvee

Hello

I got approved this month for 100% housebound. I always thought that if you got 100% that would qualify for homestead tax exemption in Florida and an DOD ID card. I was told by the VA that it has to be P&T. I have never heard of housebound. What is the reason for being rated housebound? How does a rating become P&T? I have a terminal condition rated 100%, another 70% and three more at 10%. Man the more I try to figure the way the VA operates the more confussing it gets.

Edited by coconutvee

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coconut-

welcome aboard here veteran-

I see you have a terminal condition- this is regretful- and I see it is 100% SC?

If I were you I would write the VA a letter and ask them for Permanent and Total Status as a terminal disability in my way of thinking IS permanent and they have already declared it as total (100%).

I would sure push for this (hope you have a good vet rep) talk to him/her first and see what can be done ASAP for P & T. You ashould attach a copy of any medical statement that supports the terminal part-

Are you saying they pay you for 100% terminal SC disability-

then 100% Housebound? do you mean they considered you housebound by virtue of additional SC at 60% or more?

and 70 plus 10 for other conditions?

"Man the more I try to figure the way the VA operates the more confussing it gets."

Join the crowd veteran- I swear in dealing with them for over 20 years- they should make PTSD due to VA a compensatable disability-

they would owe me a fortune-

Are you sure they are paying you right?

The historic comp rates and SMC rates (you might even be in a higher level of SMC but they did not consider that)

are all found at the VA web site.

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Rates/

They make errors in retro too.

• Founder

welcome aboard!

glad you found us, i believe you are probably rated at a special monthly compensation rate which is your 100% plus your housebound i think it's around 2700 for a single veteran these days.

i am truly sorry to hear you are dealing with a terminal illness and sincerely hope we can provide some guidance and support to you.

do you have a service officer? like berta said i would be all over them about asking to be permanent, also i would check into aid and attendance if your disabilities warrant it.

don't forget about social security if you haven't applied for it, do it now. different states have different rules here is a link to the florida department of veterans affairs they list their benefits on the site and i think if you haven't been yet you may find it useful http://www.floridavets.org/

• HadIt.com Elder

Coco:

I think that you should ask DRO to make your condition P&T. If you have a decent Service Officer may be they can help you if not write a letter to VARO and request P&T immediately.

Sorry I don't know what the deal is on Florida Property Taxes. Have you filed for Social Security Disability.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

I sent a letter to be reconsidered for P&T. I was only rated for three conditions. One was rated a 100% inceased from 50%, the other was continued at 70%, another at 10% and two other conditions that were previously rated at 10% each where not mentioned. Anyhow its states that the 100% condition was not considered for P&T because of the likelihood of improvement and is subject to a future review examination next year. It seems that I need to have one foot in the grave to get P&T. I feel like I already do anyhow. So I guess come next year if I'm not hospitalized or bedridden I can loose the 100%? Man I'm just so sick of having to deal with all this. Really my health is not good. I just do not have the energy to even worry about what happens next. The medications I'm taking are very toxic and just take a lot out of me.