Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p, Exit Exam

Rate this question

bobz

Question

OK I got out in 1975 never had an exit exam, when I cleared base in Germany doc gave me my medical records to hand cary to VA. There was a lot of documentation in there for high blood pressure as well as all of the test they ran. I have tried several times to get copies of these records but they can't find them no matter how hard I press the issue. They were delivered to the El Paso VA so I figure they are either there or in Waco.

I finally filed to raise my rating last year, I am rated for hypertension and anxiety. Va doc says I had a TIA or mini stroke last Feb. They also started me going to metal health for the anxiety and depression after the stroke. When I filed the claim I sent information from Mayo clinic and Johns Hopkins stating the hypertension and stroke were directly related as well as the anxiety, stroke and depression were related. This is the first C&P since the intake exam I have ever had.

1. What are tthe chances they will actually raise the percentage?

2. Should I start now getting ready for an appeal or wait for their decission.

By the way my Neuro doctor also VA says it was a stem stroke back in 1998 that took out my left arm making it mostly useless.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

OK I got out in 1975 never had an exit exam, when I cleared base in Germany doc gave me my medical records to hand cary to VA. There was a lot of documentation in there for high blood pressure as well as all of the test they ran. I have tried several times to get copies of these records but they can't find them no matter how hard I press the issue. They were delivered to the El Paso VA so I figure they are either there or in Waco.

I finally filed to raise my rating last year, I am rated for hypertension and anxiety. Va doc says I had a TIA or mini stroke last Feb. They also started me going to metal health for the anxiety and depression after the stroke. When I filed the claim I sent information from Mayo clinic and Johns Hopkins stating the hypertension and stroke were directly related as well as the anxiety, stroke and depression were related. This is the first C&P since the intake exam I have ever had.

1. What are tthe chances they will actually raise the percentage?

2. Should I start now getting ready for an appeal or wait for their decission.

By the way my Neuro doctor also VA says it was a stem stroke back in 1998 that took out my left arm making it mostly useless.

What is your current SC'd evaluation percentage for hypertension ?

What is your current SC'd evaluation percentage for anxiety ?

1. Yes, it is possible your total percentage will be increased.

2. I would wait for the decision and read it over about 10 times

prior to making ANY appeal plans.

JMHO

Well Had both C&P exams done will cover both separately.

First the one for the blood pressure and luckily it was up for the exam in spite of 2 different meds for it. The doctor seemed puzzled as to how that was and was looking into the c-file to see what was happening way back before computers. He also seemed confused about why the left arm wasn't working I mentioned that the neuro doc (VA) stated she thought it was a stem stroke and he found that in my records. hopefully that will help. Do have to say that this doctor deemed to actually want to get involved and did remark that I did have 2 very good doctors from all he had heard and read on them. I don't know but felt that tis one went fairly well.

Then came the mental health exam and as I had read on here they wanted to talk about childhood but I remembered what I had read here and brought it back to why I was there. After the exam I did a bit of checking on the doctor that did the exam and found that she is a resident not fully a doctor yet and am wondering if this is standard practice for this type of exam.

I am a bit concerned about the mental health portion of the exam.

One other question they told me when I put in for the travel for the C&P and for a regular appointment the week prior that I live closer to Las Vegas and will only get paid to there not to Reno. I know that in my records my mental health doctor has commented that I should not drive in heavy traffic due to my problem with the stress and panic attacks and wondering if there is a way to fight that decision since traffic in Vegas sucks and I cannot drive there and must be driven. The VA does not provide travel from where I live to there nor is there any commercial travel (bus etc.) available where I live.

Well finally got to see the questionnaires that got filled out by doctors.

Mental health

Diagnosis #1: Adjustment Disorder with Mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood, chronic
ICD code:
Indicate the Axis category:
[X] Axis I [ ] Axis II
Comments, if any:
Veteran's anxiety and depression appear to be chronic reactions to psychosocial stressors, representing chronic adjustment
problems.

b. Axis III - medical diagnoses (to include TBI): Emphysema, migraines, stroke, dizziness, dyslipidemia, essential hypertension, paresis
ICD code:
Comments, if any:

c. Axis IV - Psychosocial and Environmental Problems (describe, if
any): Limited social support, chronic medical problems, physical disability

d. Axis V - Current global assessment of functioning (GAF) score: 55
Comments, if any: GAF reflects moderate symptoms (i.e. frequent, moderate depressed mood, anxiety, insomnia, and irritability) and moderate difficulty in social functioning

[X] Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity

For VA rating purposes, check all symptoms that apply to the Veteran's
diagnoses:

[X] Depressed mood
[X] Anxiety

[X] Chronic sleep impairment
[X] Mild memory loss, such as forgetting names, directions or recent events

[X] Disturbances of motivation and mood

Does the Veteran have any other symptoms attributable to mental
disorders
that are not listed above?
[X] Yes[ ] No

If yes, describe:

Veteran has some problems controlling his irritability in public, but is not violent or inappropriate.

Veteran has had increased problems with memory and attention/concentration for the past 9 months, according to his wife.

Veteran's score of 32 on the BAI is in the severe range for anxiety and his score on the BDI-II is in the severe range for
depression.

Ok folks thoughts?? I was first rated 10% for anxiety and gave doctor paperwork linking anxiety and depression. She was amazed I had it and I told her my cousin is a licensed doctorate-level psychologist so I knew where and who to ask.

The medical portion just confirmed that Yes I do have high blood pressure and have had since 1974 while I was in the Army. Used to be controlled pretty good now on 2 different meds for it and it is still a bit high. He made no mention of the stroke.