Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Painful Process Ends In Some $Uccess...

Rate this topic

SergeantQ

“Even though my military records clearly showed documentation. The problem I ran into was I stop going to VA doctors and started going to civilian doctors after I separated from service. “

“Yes, I completed release forms and had evidence submitted by my external doctors. However, they still denied my claims and svc connected me zero percent for a scar on my ankle.”

Can you tell us exactly how they stated the denial or scan and attach the decision here (cover the personal stuff)

Did they list the private records as evidence and then refer to them in the narrative, or just deny without mentioning them?

“Just sad that it didn't come through but i'm thankful and still grateful for the small victory. “ By all means your husband should appeal this and provide them with any evidence that his disability should be rated higher.I am sure they enclosed the rating schedule with the decision. Well hope so. If not it is here in the VA Schedule of Ratings .

“It’s been in appeal status since Dec 2011 with absolutely NO MOVEMENT in ebenefits. “

You can use the VA IRIS system (their automated email response ) to try to get some sort of status on the appeal.

Go to http://www.va.gov/ and click on the Contact us thing and you will be directed to the IRIS form.

I always advise asking for an email or snail mail reply instead of VA phone call,so you have hard copy of what they say.

Thank you Both for your service and you are right ...a 'small victory.'....but a foot in the door....

and many many here started out with lowball VA ratings and turned them,in time, into Big victories.

IMOs (Independent Medical Opinions )can often be Very costly but the private doctor who treats you might charge very little to do one

Any doctor doing an IMO needs to use the IMO criteria her in our IMO forum and be sure to use the wording “at least as likely as not” with a full medical rationale.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Can you tell us exactly how they stated the denial or scan and attach the decision here (cover the personal stuff)

Did they list the private records as evidence and then refer to them in the narrative, or just deny without mentioning them?

Ditto on Berta's above.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Sorry to hear about the denial, but congrats for your small victory.

One more thing to be glad for is that your husband actually GETS the compensation for the 20% rating.

Retired military get nothing unless/until they are at 50%. (Well, they do get it, but that amount is subtracted from their retired pay)

BTW, An IMO can be your best friend since the VA is looking for a doctor to say that your condition is related to your military service.

Yes, I can post it... I'm back to work on Tuesday - I can post what the denial letter said. Honestly, I don't even remember because I passed out when they denied me and haven't been the same since. lol. Sometimes you can get so caught up in this and invest so much time that it literally takes the air out your balloon when seemingly you lose. Still, good advice, i'll post it next week as well as check into the IMO. If we can get to at least 50 or 60 percent, I will consider that a victory. Big hug all!!!!

Thadine Q.

Hi all, I appreciate the feedback.

No, I didn't know about the IMO.

Yes, I completed release forms and had evidence submitted by my external doctors. However, they still denied my claims and svc connected me zero percent for a scar on my ankle. Something that I wasn't even pursuing.

Yes, we know u have to be at least thirty percent to get dependent pay which was why we was so sad that he didn't, at minimum, get 30. Since the one knee required reconstructive surgery we hoped for 20 and then on the overcompensating knee 10. Just sad that it didn't come through but i'm thankful and still grateful for the small victory.

Did he get temporary compensation at 100 percent for convalescence, after the surgery ?

Just wondering ?

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Nooooo not even. I think he was out a few weeks too. But maybe that's because he was on active dutyduty, right? Still it's a good idea and worth looking into.

Thadine Q.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use