Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Will A New Claim Delay A Bva Timeline For Existing Claim?

Rate this question

JuanP

Question

Thank you in advance.

I have an existing claim (back problems) that has been open and progressing through the system for about 3 yrs. I am scheduled to the BVA level next. I am nerve wracked.

I have found evidence in my military medical records of a PTSD diagnosis along with a Stress Anxiety disorder.

If I file a claim for psychological issue's, will this delay anything on the current claim.

I am scared to death of anything messing up the current claim as I'm sure you all can understand after four yrs. with no income.

Not to be repetitive, but a sincere Thank You to all of those who help me and others on this board. I don't know any of you, but trust you more than I do the government, crazy huh?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

This has been my fear. And I have been truly paralyzed for over a yr. to the point that I have been scared to ask the question, even on here. And this is the reason. And my fear has been answered in 6 minutes.

Not to be repetitive, but a sincere Thank You to all of those who help me and others on this board. I don't know any of you, but trust you more than I do the government, crazy huh?

Has your claim been forwarded to the BVA (already reviewed after initial decision, SOC issued, Form 9 submitted)? If you haven't been docketed with the BVA you could still have another 2-2.5 years before they hear it and possibly remand it or grant it out-right.

You have to do a benefits/risk analysis on your situation.

You indicated you have an appeal in for your back. What % are you expecting to receive from your appeal? If your appeal is based on range of motion only, in one segement, the most you could get is 40% You indicate you haven't worked in 4 years. A 40% rating would be very hard to get individual unemployability out of.

Depending on how bad your PTSD is, it potentally could be a higher rating than 40% and both contentions together could get you to a combined rating that is more favorable to individual unemployability(100% rate).

If your PTSD is ratable at 60% and you don't file it for another 2.5 years that will cost you $30,780.00 in lost benefits. If filing the new contention delays your existing appeal you loose no money except earned interest if it was sitting in a bank for you.

What is best really is dependent on where you are in the process, how strong your evidence is, how debilitating is the PTSD/stress anxiety condition, will the additional disability position you for a 100% rating under individual unemployability. If you are in dire financial straights I would suggest you find an alternate strategy than betting on action from BVA.

Best regards,

Edited by 71M10

• In Memoriam

If you have a diagnosis from your VA psych, for PTSD and evidence, I would file it to preserve your effective date. If it is just that you have seen evidence of PTSD then I don't think you should until the claim is finished.

Just evidence is not diagnosis. If you file, with VA diagnosis, it will none the less stall your claim. You had better have some supportive system to endure the stall. My claims took 6 1/2 years. I am VN Vet.

Edited by Stretch

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity

• HadIt.com Elder

If your claim is at the BVA I don't think they will call back your C-File for a new claim. In my case I filed a new CUE claim while my older CUE claim was at the BVA. The VA granted the new CUE and the old one stayed on the docket. I just filed for increase for DMII and I have a CUE at the CAVC. The VA starts a temporary file for you in these cases since this happens all the time. I agree that you want to preserve your effective date. The VA and VSO's bluff about not filing new claims until your old appeals are done. This is just a way for them to reduce their workload. This is not in your best interests.

John

It also depends on if it is a new claim never considered. If that is the case the rater will need strs, which means that they will call the file back to make copies of strs personnel records (if in folder) and what not and keep them in a temp folder with the PTSD claim. That goes normally for Any claim never considered because the strs and whatever other pertinent records deemed by a rater must be reviewed before a decision can be made on a new condition while the file is at BVA. Jmho.