Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Drug Tests

Rate this topic

Oh, my primary care brings it up every time I see her. I tell her look at my records from 1982 to present date. No narcotics. Didn't even use prescribed Vicodin or Valium after foot surgery where I had bone cut and toe shortened. No pain meds after childbirth or major surgery. Told her I would snap on her if she didn't stop treating me like a common druggie. LOL. That felt good. She then explained about the VA's new policy and I went and looked it up. She then prescribed Gabapentin for my nerve pains, body aches, etc. it's not a narcotic. VA is just VA. Gotta love em

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has been prescribing narcotics of all sorts for me for at least 8 years. Now they come saying I have a opiate dependence problem. They gave me the problem. The first time I went to the VA pain clinic in 2005 they prescribed morphine for me. Since that time they have changed to methadone, oxydodone and Fentynal patches. All they are really concerned with is that you "have" a dirty test when you get the urine test. They worry that vets sell their drugs and don't take them.

This is due to the epidemic of addiction to pain medication and VA announced this month their plans to reduce opiate prescriptions/addiction. There are so many abusers, that they treat us all the same. I agree it is invasive and should not be done without discussion with the patient and certainly not without cause for suspicion.

I understand this but if the VA doesn't provide a veteran any opiates then this is intrusive. I had this test done the first time I went to Neuropain and I haven't had it done since. If they were going to have me do it I would have declined the seconded time around because I don't take opiates...

I understand this but if the VA doesn't provide a veteran any opiates then this is intrusive. I had this test done the first time I went to Neuropain and I haven't had it done since. If they were going to have me do it I would have declined the seconded time around because I don't take opiates...

A simple urinalysis is not intrusive. There are more than drugs they can test urine for. They could be testing for std's and many other things. An mri,ct or sonogram is intrusive. Peeing into a cup is not. Almost any job is going to require one, are you going to be indigent about that intrusion because that company never issued you opiates and you think saying I don't do drugs is enough.

Zaidon, Karmah, Fallujah

Operation Southern Fire

2/2 Easy Co Warlords

OIF III

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey, they screen for alcohol as well. If you come up dirty for street drugs it can be a problem for you and gives the VA the excuse to boot you from numerous programs. If I come up dirty for street drugs I get kicked out of opiate program no matter that I have been on it for 8 years. Can you spell "Cold Turkey". I can deal with it but it would upset my wife if I did not sleep for a week. When I signed for the opiate program I agreed to not take alcohol or any street drug. I am OK with that, but I am not sure why they would screen all others for drugs and alcohol. They may start screen for tobacco use and who knows what to deny future claims. It used to be only drunks used the VA ha, ha.

John

• HadIt.com Elder

The Docs have to do this now with the DEA cracking down on the pain med prescribers. They are being treated like drug lords and eventually they will stop prescribing pain meds. Now for those who actually need the medicine, it can be a bad thing but remember you still have rights.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.