Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Tdiu Rules Just Released June17, 2013 A Must Read

Rate this question

hendi

Question

If you are waiting for a decision for new or increase in benefits, that would make you eligible for TDIU. You must read the latest training letter put out 6-17-2013. This is the link to the letter: http://www.scribd.com/doc/148923612/FL13-013-001 They are just trying to make it harder on the vets to qualify for TDIU. If you get informed you have a fighting chance.

If you are having problems with the above link go to Jim Strickland's website: www.vawatchdog.org It is on the home page

I need to correct myself, I went back and read CFR 38 TDIU sections. Both of these sections are Secretary/Veterans Administration "MAY" not "WILL". There is actually no requirement in 38 CFR that the VA consider you for TDIU, they may consider you for TDIU. M21-1 MR does instruct that a determination must be made.

It would appear that the VA is operating well within their rules(even when inconsistant with some of their other rules), I still dislike the requirement for all the reasons I previously stated, but it appears they can push you to make a declaration.

Making your font that large - actually makes it LESS readable, then members have to scroll down every 3 or 4 words !

STOP THE TRAIN FOR A SECOND.

if you read closely it says AT LEAST ONE DISABILITY MUST BE CHOSEN, but it doesnt say it has to be just one chosen.

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRSVeterans Benefits AdministrationWashington, D.C. 20420
June 17, 2013Director (00/21)In Reply Refer To: 211BAll VA Regional Offices Fast Letter 13-13ATTN: All Veterans Service Center PersonnelSUBJ: Claims for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployability (TDIU)
Purpose
The purpose of this Fast Letter is to revise and clarify VA procedures relating to claims for total disability ratings based on individual unemployability (TDIU).
Overview of Changes
VA will no longer presume a claim for TDIU is a claim for increase in all service-connected disabilities. As part of a substantially complete application for TDIU, VAwill require that the claimant with multiple service-connected disabilities specify atleast one disability that he or she believes causes the unemployability.

VA will consider the Veteran’s specification of the disabilities that he or she believescause unemployability to be claims for increased evaluation for those c

Wow.. that was big........

sorry I have no idea how that happened/

I received a copy of this FL in July sometime. I agree with many comments and opinions listed on this topic.

When I have completed an application on a veteran for TDIU (VA FM 21-8940), I have always asked the veteran to obtain the following; a letter from the veterans doctor that he/she can not work due to a specific service connected disability. Then include the additional SC disabilities as secondary conditions to the primary condition as an overall condition as to why the veteran can not work.

Every claim (for TDIU) that I have submitted that way (or with that information) has been granted. I've had no denials.

Its been difficult for some vets to obtain a letter but they did which proved a positive outcome for them.

I received a copy of this FL in July sometime. I agree with many comments and opinions listed on this topic.

When I have completed an application on a veteran for TDIU (VA FM 21-8940), I have always asked the veteran to obtain the following; a letter from the veterans doctor that he/she can not work due to a specific service connected disability. Then include the additional SC disabilities as secondary conditions to the primary condition as an overall condition as to why the veteran can not work.

Every claim (for TDIU) that I have submitted that way (or with that information) has been granted. I've had no denials.

Its been difficult for some vets to obtain a letter but they did which proved a positive outcome for them.

Solid advice !

I have tried to copy this FL13-13 BUT CAN'T. I am in hopes that someone here can tell me how without having to pay for it once it is downloaded on the site.

Thanks,

Hollis