Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I'm 70% Should I Apply For An Increase Or Apply For Tdui.

Rate this question

Rudy1983

Question

How you doing my name is Rudy...Currently I'm 70%...... since 09 I haven't had a job since i got out of the army in 2007 then in 2008 i was called back into the IRR to go back to iraq once i got out in february 09. I apply and got 70% Disability cause of my PTSD witch I'm rated at 50% , 10% TBI, 10 Tinnitus , 10 right knee, 10 left knee, 10 lower back. since 09 my life has gone down hill my wife left me and took my son cause she couldnt deal with my ptsd n drinking... im trying to get life together n find a job i just cant deal with all the anxiety n panic attacks ... i just wanted to know if you guys think I should apply for an increase or apply for TDUI?

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Welcome here Rudy...

I certainly think you should apply for TDIU but I also suggest that you get to a vet center if you can and also maintain every VA PTSD therapy appointment you can get.And take the meds too.

Vets who get into Vet Center groups often find a comfort zone they cant find elsewhere and many will have the same problems you do with the PTSD and will understand exactly what you are going through.

Also I think you should definitely apply for SSDI (Social Security Disability Benefits.)

If SSA awards solely for these SC conditions, then that is good evidence for TDIU (and Vice Versa).

Hard to guess what award might come first. SSA has a website with their Disability application on it.

Make sure to check Yes to the question # 18 on the 21-8940 TDIU form and then under Remarks, # 25 refer them to separate page, put your Name , Address and C file number on it and tell them you have applied for SSDI.

I think,but someone will correct me if I am wrong, that one must apply for SSDI within five years after their last employment. Not sure though and I see you have not been employed since you left the Mil in 2009.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

From the following website: has lots of SSDI information:

http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page10-13.html

How Many Work Credits You Need for SSDI Eligibility

The older you are, the more work credits you need to qualify for benefits. There are two tests you must pass that involve work credits: the "recent work test" and the "duration of work test."

Recent Work Test

If you are 31 or older, you must have worked at least 5 of the last 10 years to pass the recent work test. Put another way, you will need to have earned 20 credits (one quarter of work equals one credit) in the 10 years immediately before you became disabled.

If you are between 24 and 31, you must have worked at least half the time since turning 21. For example, if you are 29, you must have worked at least four years out of the last eight years (or have earned 16 credits in the last eight years).

If you are under 24, you must have worked at least one and a half years in the three-year period before disability (or have earned 6 credits in the last three years).

There is an exception to these rules for certain blind applicants.

The 5 year rule is still there. I am also 70 % and applied for SSDB and was told I waited to late, it was after the 5 years of not working by 2 months. I was diagnosed last year for PTSD, but that did not have a barring on their decision. So as other has stated if you can get it go for it. you earned it and paid for it and you deserve it.

Thanks Berta and everyone else for all the help n info..! I'm gonna take ur advice and apply for SSDI and also for TDUI .. Ill keep you guys updated.. N I will also take ur advice and go to the VA it's just a lil hard since I got my license suspended n everytime I try to make an appt for mental health or other issues I have they always make me wait a few weeks but I sure do need to get some help for my PTSD since I think it's getting worse..

when you apply for TDIU, if you have a letter from your Doctor stating that you can not hold gainful employment due to your service connected disabilities, it will help you in a favorable response for your TDIU application.

Thanks megp0405 next week I have another appointment I'm gonna ask them to see if they could give me a letter saying I can't hold a job... But I'm not sure if they will cause since 09 I haven't been to the VA or had a job.. I was homeless for a while n I have my license suspended due to my drinking but thanks to god I met a wonderfu girl who's helping me out n stared taking me to my VA appointments..