Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Ex Wife Is Plotting Againt Me.

Rate this question

SSG Ramos

Question

Today I got information that my ex wife has gone insane on me. She has been trying to destroy everything on her path. She has managed to create controversy between my family and friends. She even opened a joint bank account after we were divorced. She has been contacting all my relatives trying to dusrupt my relationship's. She is even receiving social security for her child and has me as the supporter of the family and we are no longer married.

When we divorced she kept everything and i kept all the debts. Which I am still paying. But still, she wants more.

All of this was told to me by a friend. A friend that I once lost because of her.

We have been divorced for more than two years now and all of this came by surprise.

But this is not all. To make this even sweeter she is trying to get money from my VA compensation and social security.

Should I be worried about my benefits and her intentions?

We were married from 2009 to 2011 and we no kids.

I need help here.Can she do anything regarding my benefits?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Today I got information that my ex wife has gone insane on me. She has been trying to destroy everything on her path. She has managed to create controversy between my family and friends. She even opened a joint bank account after we were divorced. She has been contacting all my relatives trying to dusrupt my relationship's. She is even receiving social security for her child and has me as the supporter of the family and we are no longer married.

When we divorced she kept everything and i kept all the debts. Which I am still paying. But still, she wants more.

All of this was told to me by a friend. A friend that I once lost because of her.

We have been divorced for more than two years now and all of this came by surprise.

But this is not all. To make this even sweeter she is trying to get money from my VA compensation and social security.

Should I be worried about my benefits and her intentions?

We were married from 2009 to 2011 and we no kids.

I need help here.Can she do anything regarding my benefits?

It depends upon the divorce court. Even though your money from the government is not usually directly accessible, the divorce court may increase any payment you make, based upon your total income.

I'd say you will need a lawyer. Opening a joint account with your name listed after a divorce is likely fraud.

• HadIt.com Elder

As to the bank account, she would need your signature or have fraudulently signed your name. I'd go to that bank, straighten that out and close that account and take any money in it and give it to my lawyer. You should contact a lawyer, also, now. If she's had a baby, she could have named you the father and in some states that's enough. You need to get that straightened out, now also. She could be receiving SS dependents pay against your acct for her and the child. You can check w/SS on that.

As for what you're hearing, it's all rumor. You need facts. I wouldn't believe your "friend," at least until it's verified. jmo

pr

It depends upon the divorce court. Even though your money from the government is not usually directly accessible, the divorce court may increase any payment you make, based upon your total income.

I'd say you will need a lawyer. Opening a joint account with your name listed after a divorce is likely fraud.

We didn’t had kids, so I don’t pass any money to her. She is trying to vacuum my benefits just because

SSG Ramos,

How long were you two legally married ?

I don't think you need to keep worrying as you posted you two are legally

divorce and you bore no children together.

Probably just some grape vine gossip and you don't have to buy into it.

If she should show up on your doorstep just tell her thru the door to leave

and call the police if needed to serve her with a trespass warning -

this way there is no direct face to face confrontation, which keeps you out of trouble.

JMHO

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

As to the bank account, she would need your signature or have fraudulently signed your name. I'd go to that bank, straighten that out and close that account and take any money in it and give it to my lawyer. You should contact a lawyer, also, now. If she's had a baby, she could have named you the father and in some states that's enough. You need to get that straightened out, now also. She could be receiving SS dependents pay against your acct for her and the child. You can check w/SS on that.

As for what you're hearing, it's all rumor. You need facts. I wouldn't believe your "friend," at least until it's verified. jmo

pr

PR is correct. In order to open a bank account you need to have verifiable identification. She can't just take an application home and come back and say you signed it. Financial institutions use "signature cards" which verify the clerk saw your identification and witnessed you signing the papers. If your name is on a joint bank account, you will not be able to just get it taken off unless all parties are there. However, you can close the account as long as there is no outstanding debt on it. Find out which bank has the joint account and go in and ask to look at the signature card. If you are on the account, then they will show it to you. You can also get copies of statements, but they may charge you a few bucks for them.

Credit cards are an entirely different thing. It would be worth paying a small monthly fee for for identity protection, like Life Lock or something like it. They can provide advice to help with past problems, but can't fix those. They are more of a go forward protection company.

Lawyer is a great idea. Ask if a restraining order for stalking is an option. Depending on what you find out from the bank account, ask if a crime has been committed and ask if you should file charges. My private lawyer referred me to the district attorney because a an crime was committed. The DA took charge, the police arrested the criminal, and I didn't have to worry about coughing up money for my private lawyer. Not sure if this would happen in your case though...

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

• HadIt.com Elder

We didn’t had kids, so I don’t pass any money to her. She is trying to vacuum my benefits just because

Are you sure you didn't have just one more time like "sympathy sex" after you had separated or divorced, that could be yours??? All she needed to do is name you as the father on the birth certificate, when the child was born and it's your's. Some states allow that. You may need a DNA test to disprove fatherhood. I'd seriously look into that. You can check w/SSDI and see if they're paying for a child and for her. If they're paying for a child, chances are they're paying her also. Just sayin . . .

pr