Aid And Attendance Success For Parents

Rate this topic

SueEdel

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Using VA logic my father's retro went into their joint bank account and the monthly payments started. My mom who has some dementia is required by VA to have a fiduciary for the retro (we are only talking 6 months worth) and they put her monthly payment in same bank account as my dad. My mother had to sign a VA form (can't recall form #) that states she understands she has dementia and agrees to fiduciary for this retro payment. It is not a huge amount of money and the money the VA will spend trying to set this up-work hours, field agent, paperwork--makes this illogical. Welcome to the VA system mom and dad.

Sue,

Great news !

I don't quite understand using an attorney - had they received a denial for A&A

prior to this ?

The process of filing for this requires two 80+ spouses to each fill out correctly by VA standards 28 pages of detailed material. The attorney assists in determining if a person is eligible and correct way to complete the forms. They are different from most forms I've had to complete for my own VA stuff and I've been SC since 1977. The attorneys are charging for pre-claim service and if your claim is rejected they represent the claimant pro bono. Each page of this fully developed claim must be correct or it is sent back and/or rejected. Since it costs $3800 per month for my parents to reside in a workable environment--it was worth the attorney fee to get this right the first time.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree in these type of cases it is best to use VA attornies that know how to properly file these claims, the rules for allowable assets etc can be confusing and most VSOs do not know the rules,the aid and attendence for elderly in assisted living or nursing homes can make the difference between a decent place or a dump, I am all in favor of decent places they deserve it. I hope I can be like my parents and live in my home until it is time to go, I know I have turned my wife into a full time care nurse but she says she wants it this way, and she takes better care of me than and nursing home would, she has aches and pains we are all getting older, but she will turn 61 and I just turned 58, and I don't have many months left, if any years. I am looking at a trip to ICU very soon to have fluid drained from my lungs, I have gone from 165 pounds in April to 190 pounds yesterday and it's all fluid retention

thanks for getting them the right help to many people seem to ignore their parents as they get older

• 2 weeks later...

VA sent acknowledgement that they received form signed by my mother regarding a need for a fiduciary. The form they sent back stated that she is not allowed to own a firearm. No other info on how long the process will take to appoint or the next step in the process.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use