Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi After Awarded Tdiu

Rate this question

ncjoe1970

Question

My hearing is coming up next month for my SSDI claim. I have been on TDIU since March 2011 and my lawyer swears we have a very good chance of winning this case because I am already receiving TDIU from the VA. I have been turned down by Social Security before but have never had a hearing.

Most cases I see on here have already been awarded SSDI, before they received TDIU. I'm the opposite. Anyone else had a case like mine ?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Do you know the name of your judge yet? I got a letter from mine before my hearing and did a bit of research on him. I found out that he had been a big Workman's Comp attorney - representing claimants -- so I felt more at ease ;)

Not yet. My lawyer is Greg Jones and I speak with them on a regular basis. All I know at this point is its next month. His law firm is http://www.gregjoneslaw.com/...

We shall see how good he is. I fought the VA without an attorney and won my TDIU case after several years of fighting. Hopefully this will not be like that...

Edited by ncjoe1970

The judge I had at my hearing (for survivor benefits) used to write a blog. Here is what he said about having an attorney.

http://edpitts.blogspot.com/2008/10/being-represented.html

"At least two thirds of the cases I review are quite difficult to decide. Most of these cases can probably be won with skillful representation. I'm fascinated by which of these claimants manage to hire competent counsel, which hire incompetent counsel, and which seem unable to find counsel even with significant effort. I've not heard enough cases yet to even form a theory about why this happens."

I was denied SSD first before PTSD disability approval, second after 50% for PTSD (70%total with other disabilities at reconsideration. I am now 100% P&T for PTSD with SMC for additional disabilities. I am in a two phase cycle with SSD at this moment: awaiting hearing date, but also awaiting decision on On The Review Request. Attorney says this OTR Request is currently with the judge, who can make a decision based on my current record, in lieu of a hearing. NOTE: A negative decision does not affect my position in line for a hearing, but a positive decision expedites my claim.

Just a word of knowledge through researching VA and SSD claims. I've learned to research, research, research and apply what I learn from my fellow veterans here at hadit.com!

I should hear something real soon and I pray PTSD P&T is enough for a positive decision with their assigned Onset Date of March 2010.