VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Missing Service Medical Records

Rate this question

donnieragsdale

Question

Can anyone make a suggestion on how I should proceed........

I finally got copies of my SMRs.

Wanted to file a claim for Feet and Back Injury sustained in April 1969. I have one IMO that states

"more likely than not" but have run into the following problem with my SMR.

My SMRs have no record of anything between when I got out of Basic Training in March 1868 until I

went to sick call due to back complaint in July 1969 at Naval Station San Diego where I

was sent for additional training from my duty station aboard a Destroyer. I had been aboard

the Destroyer all that time.....one year and 4 months.

A friend of mine sent me a copy of an entry to the ship's deck log in January 1969 showing another

injury I had sustained. That entry to the deck log identifies me, the injury and states that I was treated by medical personnel and returned to duty, but no entry in my medical record. I know I had follow up sick calls for the January 1969 injury. I know I had numerous follow up sick calls for the April 1969 injuries. What could have happened to these missing records?

Has anyone ever had a like problem with missing records and if so; what is my best way to address this?

Don

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I am going to make an appointment to go see my C-File. I bet my newest claim is sitting right there in the file even though they say it is lost.

Berta,

Yes...I have filed claims before....currently I am SC PTSD 50%, SC Hearing 0%, SC Tinnitis 10%.

I have not ever asked for a copy of the C-file but I intend to do so as per your suggestion.

Is there a special form for doing so, or can I simply call the 800-# ? Any idea how long it will take to get a copy of the file in my hands? It took many months for the VARO in Portland to provide me my SMRs.

If I lived closer, I'd visit their office but I'm nearly 200 miles from the RO.

Probably like most Hadit Members, I wish I had known, 30 some years ago, more about the struggle that awaits any veteran who "finally" reaches out to the VA for assistance to find that what he had imagined was his last two hurdles, (pride and self-reliance), to overcome was merely the first in a long series of seemingly more difficult ones.

I don't participate in the discussion, here on Hadit very much, but I sincerely hope that all of you more knowledgeable members know how much your advice and opining benefit those of us who simply read the posts.

It is certain that "more likely than not" my service connected veterans benefits are due to this forum. Without Hadit, I'd probably not found any relief.

Blessings to all,

Don

Hello Don,

I am very new to the forums board. Wood you have the time to tell me what the C-file is and the SMRs ?

when I call my RO and try to get some information all I have gotten in the past is conflicting answers. Thank you for your post. It has helped me. Alan

• HadIt.com Elder

The "C-file" is, essentially, your "Claim File" and should contain all the records pertaining to a specific claim that you have filed.

The "SMRs" = "Service Medical Records", the records that the gubbermint SHOULD have on your medical treatments, sick calls, etc., whilst you were in the "Service".

Can anyone make a suggestion on how I should proceed........

I finally got copies of my SMRs.

Wanted to file a claim for Feet and Back Injury sustained in April 1969. I have one IMO that states

"more likely than not" but have run into the following problem with my SMR.

My SMRs have no record of anything between when I got out of Basic Training in March 1868 until I

went to sick call due to back complaint in July 1969 at Naval Station San Diego where I

was sent for additional training from my duty station aboard a Destroyer. I had been aboard

the Destroyer all that time.....one year and 4 months.

A friend of mine sent me a copy of an entry to the ship's deck log in January 1969 showing another

injury I had sustained. That entry to the deck log identifies me, the injury and states that I was treated by medical personnel and returned to duty, but no entry in my medical record. I know I had follow up sick calls for the January 1969 injury. I know I had numerous follow up sick calls for the April 1969 injuries. What could have happened to these missing records?

Has anyone ever had a like problem with missing records and if so; what is my best way to address this?

Don

I had the same problem and they still havent found any of the ones that i need but, their using the current records of treatment from the VA that i have since ive been going for quite awhile now. Its good to get the doctor to state that more likely than not that the injuries that you sustained have to be from apx those times that you were in the military. For example if its your back that you filed for you need to get the doctors x-rays and all those files related to the current condition and get the doctor to submit a statement to the effect of "this just didnt happen overnight, this has been an ongoing injury" Using his or her judgment of how long ago it probably occured with your personal statement as to what happened should probably show nexus of your service connected injury, or thats what i did and it came out ok. The buddy statements are also a good way to show this also, especially if you bring a copy and show the doctor and piece together what happened with him to give a medical point of view. IE "I fell down and hurt my back on the lower part really hard when we were under enemy fire" The doctor would state that you injured your lower lumbar and possibly injured some ligiments or nerves or discs that have never properly healed which more than likely led you to your initial visit with them.

The other way is to contact the congressman or senator from your state to light a fire under them. They dont like it when they have to answer to someone. Most likely they would send a letter that just stated that you could write to the appropriate information records building and they would help you. Not mentioning that you have done this on several occasions before which is why you brought it to the attention of someone of higher authority. This is the route that i took and i think it took longer but, it did have a positive outcome because all those certified senator and congress letters get put in your folder for them to read and they know that you will contact them again and again if they dont hurry up and give you some kind of decision (bad or good). The other draw back to that is that they put it in a special file "why i dont know" they take it out of the stack that they were looking at and hold it for their supervisors to see for at least on average of 60 days. Yes i went through this and it was terrible but, they did give me an answer finally.

You know its funny that when they do an autopsy the doctor can tell how many fractures and broken bones and other anomolies that a person had and the apx age or years they had them but, as soon as you mention that you have a claim they dont want to tell you anything. I had one that told me if i wanted to know to look it up on the internet and research it myself!!

Anyway good luck with your claim im sure everything will turn out fine as long as you stay on them and keep everything updated and fresh in their minds.

I don't know if it will work for pre-1990 vets but for us GW-I vets we often have to request individual treatment records from St. L by Date and Facility. They are not in our SMR's.

I'd try to request your missing treatment records by listing the Destroyer medical dept. and aproximate date and nature of injury. Might not work but worth a try. Records are stored by facility as well as SMR's.

Time

Could anyone advise or opine on this:

After requesting my service medical records (SMRs), I realize that there is a period of 16 months missing; As if I didn't even go to a sick call or had any medical interaction at all between Mar 1968 and Jul 1969.

I have one entry in ship's deck log for another minor injury sustained. The deck log record, for that entry, had identified me by name and service number and additionally stated that I received medical treatment by hospital corpsman.

The second injury, about a month after the first, involved about 10 of us and only three members, who were medical evacuated, are mentioned in the deck log entry.

After contacting VA, I'm told that they sent me all available SMRs.

Could I point out to the VA, as I file this claim for other injuries sustained, about a month later that it should be obvious that SMRs are missing because the deck log entry notes medical treatment?

Would the fact that the deck log indicating medical treatment was given during this period for another injury cause them to accept my word, my buddy statements and etc, or would they simply deny because the SMRs do not reflect any initial treatment or subsequent follow up medical treatment for the injury sustained?

How would some of you more knowledgeable members address this in a claim letter?

I feel that I'll only get one chance to get my point made and I am in need of your advice.

Don